It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:09 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Just sayin'....
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:09 am 

I parked in front of our local health dispenser office the other day when the Nurse Practitioner(?) - the person that is considered the "doctor" in our town, stepped out of the office taking a vacuum cleaner to another building. OH MY! :o

I haven't seen her for awhile but occasionally run into her dh. They have both gained so much weight! (And on top of that she was wearing pants made out of that stretchy material - not spandex but ...polyester) ANYWAY... she looked SO terrible. NOT a good representation for a health "professional" at all.

Fortunately, the Lord always uses those moments in my life to ask me if *I* am a good representation for a "professional" Christian. ;)

I realize how KNOWING something vs living in a way that reflects my knowledge is two very different things. As badly as I wanted to judge her and tell her that she's an embarrassment to the health field, all the fingers immediately pointed back to me. sigh I believe in healthy eating and exercise. I have no excuses. WHY am *I* not the epitome of health?

(I'm trying out the edit button.) :mrgreen:

Last edited by Sis on Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Just sayin'....
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:40 am 

Great reminder, Sis - I know I do it too!

There is an old saying of the Saints, "Never criticize a Monk for a behaviour you yourself indulge in" (or words to that effect). Funny how we can see a Monk eating Cheesecake during Lent and be scandalized, whereas if we have a piece ourselves? - well, we're very understanding about that! (Or, imagine if you saw your Pastor reading some of the novels or magazines or going to movies you think are okay-for-me?)

So often we see a religious person (clergyman, monk, nun, school teacher - whatever) and expect of them what we don't expect of ourselves.

Post subject: Re: Just sayin'....
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:24 pm 

One time (years ago!) I saw a man coming out of the convenience store and he couldn't wait to get the ciggy package opened so he could smoke.. I was thinking how bad it must be to have such an addiction.. then I looked down and realized that I was holding a coke... and well.. why did I stop at that store??? Because *I* had an addiction also.
I HAD to have a coke that day.. so then it was like a lightbulb moment for me.