It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:53 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: I feel good. :)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:02 pm 

I tried not to go crazy New Year's Eve and I did pretty well. At midnight I dumped my remaining sweetened tea (even tho' it's vegan) and turned a new leaf.

So far dh has been ok with the food we've had - taste and amounts, which is much less than we usually eat. :? His biggest problem is "midnight snacking". So, I'm keeping back portions of our meals for him to use for snacks. We had black bean, salsa and avocado dip with chips for lunch. I had about 1/3-1/2 c of the dip leftover and put 24 chips (anal?) in a snack bag on top of the dip container. I also portioned out some mixed nuts and there are a few dried apple rings. I need to make him some pb filled celery, too.

We had granola for breakfast today and oatmeal yesterday.
Yesterday's lunch was the tomato basil soup with homemade bread (some left for tomorrow's lunch).
Last night we had pasta with edamame for dinner. I put some Bragg's and flax oil in it for good measure.
Tonight we are having Aloo Mimosas. (Not a drink.) These are little potato pies. You make a pie crust and fill it with mashed potato and a veggie - I used peas. Then I baked them. There's a dip that goes with them - like tzatziki sauce. Hmmm. I didn't understand exactly what either of these were - the pies or the sauce - so that's all I planned for dinner. I think it will be enuf but where's the BEEF! LOL (The sauce is made out of tofu so it is protein.)

I bo't some old-fashioned Cracker Jacks for a fun treat one of these days.... if I can remember where I put them??? :roll:

I am determined to cook as little as possible today. I've already done more than I planned to have to do today. I made the potato pies yesterday so just have to re-heat them.

I'm a little concerned about dh's blood sugars with all these carby foods. It was high after breakfast yesterday but that was after New Year's, too, where he did NOT watch what he ate. It was better today.

Post subject: Re: I feel good. :)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:50 pm 

Update. Dh's blood sugar is doing GREAT! We can hardly believe it. We had Boca burgers last night with sliced tomato, onion, avocado and spinach leaves. yum (My first pre-fab meal this week.)

I've been making these tiny loaves of bread (about 3 rolls worth of bread) and we're on our 3rd loaf, I think, maybe 4th. In my new batch I added oregano and marjoram. :)

I've made smoked pepitas and cheesy chickpeas to snack on.

I also made some "ranch" dip that I hope to use on salad. I can tell I'm going to have to thin it down, tho'.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:37 pm 

I make a snack from chickpeas. I coat in a mixture of things like Texas Pete, taco seasoning, onion/garlic powder, salt, cayenne...whatever strikes my fancy the moment. Coat them well then bake or put in dehydrator till a little crunchy. I started doing this to try to keep myself out of the Doritos my dh always brings home! It's a pretty good sub. Nice and crunchy and can make as spicy as you like. They are also good just coated with a little oil and salt then roasted/dried. Salty snacks are my weakness.

How do you do your cheesy chickpeas?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:12 pm 

coastal Carol wrote:
I make a snack from chickpeas. I coat in a mixture of things like Texas Pete, taco seasoning, onion/garlic powder, salt, cayenne...whatever strikes my fancy the moment. Coat them well then bake or put in dehydrator till a little crunchy. I started doing this to try to keep myself out of the Doritos my dh always brings home! It's a pretty good sub. Nice and crunchy and can make as spicy as you like. They are also good just coated with a little oil and salt then roasted/dried. Salty snacks are my weakness.

How do you do your cheesy chickpeas?

Same as you but I use nutritional yeast for the "cheesy" flavor. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:26 pm 

Sis wrote:
Update. Dh's blood sugar is doing GREAT! We can hardly believe it. We had Boca burgers last night with sliced tomato, onion, avocado and spinach leaves. yum (My first pre-fab meal this week.)

I've been making these tiny loaves of bread (about 3 rolls worth of bread) and we're on our 3rd loaf, I think, maybe 4th. In my new batch I added oregano and marjoram. :)

I've made smoked pepitas and cheesy chickpeas to snack on.

I also made some "ranch" dip that I hope to use on salad. I can tell I'm going to have to thin it down, tho'.

So delighted to hear that your dh's sugar is doing so well! : )

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:52 pm 

I love nutritional yeast on popcorn. Never even thought of putting it on the chickpeas. Man I've got to try that!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:24 am 

That's great about your dh's blood sugar and all this food sounds yummy! My mom and I have been eating a lot of chickpeas, but I've never baked them and had them as a snack. I will have to try that! I've been meaning to buy Nutritional Yeast for awhile, too.

I like to make a crockpot meal on the nights Saphira has AHG, so we can come home to a warm meal. Tonight we are having split pea soup, something the whole family likes (and by "whole family" I mean mostly the adults, lol). I make it vegan, but I usually cook some meat separately for those who want it. I use the recipe from Anna's site and we also love her skyline black beans over pasta.

Dh is not fully on board with eating vegan, but he does want to eat healthier and likes some vegetarian/vegan meals. I think he's secretly a little jealous of the weight I'm losing and now he suddenly wants to lose weight, too, lol. Which is good because I think he's on the path to heart disease and diabetes, if he doesn't do something about it. He's not horribly overweight, but does have high blood pressure.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:39 am 

Oh, I also made the Mediterranean spaghetti from the Forks over Knives site and it was really good! Never thought to add peppers, zucchini, and olives to spaghetti before. The olives really added a nice touch of flavor to it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:28 am 

I'm so honored that you like my recipes, Lisa! : )

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:35 pm 

I weighed about day 4 and had lost 3, almost 4 pounds. Today, the "weigh in", I was only down 2. I am HAPPY to be down 2 but I'd be happiER with 4! LOL Two pounds in a week is a good pace and that's with only 1 day of exercise.