It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:29 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Processed/red meat causes cancer
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:10 pm 

You've probably heard how the WHO came out saying that over 800 studies show that processed and red meat causes cancer? I feel like this is HUGE! A lot of people are laughing at it and saying "I'm not giving up my meat! I have to die of something!" :shock: :?

But I think it will cause a lot of people to second guess what they're eating and start making healthier choices. And didn't the EPA or something like that, come out recently telling people to eat less meat for their health and the environment? It sounds like everything is aligning and everyone is starting to agree that the way we are eating is not good for us, the animals, or the environment. I read somewhere that meat consumption is decreasing, too, which is how it should be. People need to go back to the occasional ham for Thanksgiving, instead of meat several times a day.

Post subject: Re: Processed/red meat causes cancer
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:33 pm 

I heard years ago that processed meat was horrible for humans. (Yet they still sell it?!?!)
There are some kinds/brands that make me swell up.

My kids never did care for sandwiches even when they were little and at home all day. So, sandwich meat/processed meat would go bad so I stopped buying it.
I do use sliced turkey but I prefer getting it from the deli.

Also, YEARS ago I heard that the way the red meat is cooked also increases the cancer risk. Like cooked on the chrarcoal grill until it's crispy.
(Which I think is yucky anyway, lol)
Red meat we do eat on occasion but it's a luxury now. When dh was alive we did have red meat more often. I avoid ground hamburger meat. I wouldn't miss it if I never ate it again.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:38 pm 

Tory wrote:
I heard years ago that processed meat was horrible for humans. (Yet they still sell it?!?!)
There are some kinds/brands that make me swell up.

My kids never did care for sandwiches even when they were little and at home all day. So, sandwich meat/processed meat would go bad so I stopped buying it.
I do use sliced turkey but I prefer getting it from the deli.

Also, YEARS ago I heard that the way the red meat is cooked also increases the cancer risk. Like cooked on the chrarcoal grill until it's crispy.
(Which I think is yucky anyway, lol)
Red meat we do eat on occasion but it's a luxury now. When dh was alive we did have red meat more often. I avoid ground hamburger meat. I wouldn't miss it if I never ate it again.

DD and I don't eat much lunch meat, but Christian has a meat and cheese sandwich for lunch every day, sometimes two sandwiches a day! He is so stuck on having that for lunch and wants nothing else. I tried buying the more expensive lunch meat without nitrites in it, but it was too expensive, plus he is picky about the lunch meat and only likes a certain brand. I wish I could get him hooked on something healthier, and now that I know about the cancer risk, I will try harder.

I do substitute ground beef, with ground turkey, as often as I can. My dilemma now, is what to do about Sunday brunch. I usually make either sausage or bacon, and while I am not eating it, I think the rest of the family will rebel if I make it less often. But I don't want to keep making it every week, knowing I'm feeding cancer to my family.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:14 am 

But really, there are SO many things that "may" cause cancer these days, so how do you take every single one of them out of your life?
I think it's impossible to do that.

Ultimately, God is in control.

I do think we should make healthy choices and take good care of our bodies, but I've heard stories of people living to be late 90's and they say their 'secret' to a long life is 3 soda's a day, or eating bacon every day, etc...

My aunt smoked every day of her life from a very young age. We ALL just knew she'd die of lung cancer one day. However, at the time of her death she had NEVER had cancer.... no trace of it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:57 am 

Tory wrote:
But really, there are SO many things that "may" cause cancer these days, so how do you take every single one of them out of your life?
I think it's impossible to do that.

Ultimately, God is in control.

I do think we should make healthy choices and take good care of our bodies, but I've heard stories of people living to be late 90's and they say their 'secret' to a long life is 3 soda's a day, or eating bacon every day, etc...

My aunt smoked every day of her life from a very young age. We ALL just knew she'd die of lung cancer one day. However, at the time of her death she had NEVER had cancer.... no trace of it.

That's true that there are carcinogens everywhere and in practically everything, but if I do no a specific thing is a cancer risk, I do try to avoid it as much as possible. For example, baby wipes. I had never once thought to look up the ingredients in baby wipes and always just used the store brand ones. For some reason, I decided to look it up recently and found that there are some horrible cancer causing ingredients in them. I switched to ones with safer ingredients that are only a tad more expensive than the other ones. I know there are bad things in our other products, too, but I haven't looked into those yet. I do eventually want to switch to more natural products, though, it just seems to go along with eating healthier. But, one step at a time.

And I know there are some people out there who defy the odds, but I'm not willing to take that chance. And from what I've seen with my family members. it isn't very encouraging. My grandmother died of Pancreatic cancer, my grandfather had diabetes (though he managed it well with lifestyle/diet changes and lived into his 90's with good health, considering), my mother has RA, my Uncle has diabetes and has had multiple heart attacks, my other Uncle had more problems than I could list and was wheelchair bound for most of his adult life, as a result of his life choices and he died way before his time. The only healthy person I can think of in my family, is my "health nut" dad, who eats healthy, exercises regularly, uses natural products, etc. Then again, in stark contrast to his overall healthy lifestyle, my dad uses tobacco chew, so maybe he will end up with mouth cancer some day. Or maybe he will defy those odds, who knows.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:43 am 

I totally agree with this. Besides, excess of everything is dangerous. I try to eat healthy organic foods and avoid all kinds of processed, junk and unhealthy foods. I feel much more healthy and happy than before when i used to eat these things.