It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:59 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Restless legs
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:45 pm 

I've been dealing with restless legs for the past week. I've had this before but it was years ago just before being diagnosed with the hole in my heart.
I don't think it's anything THAT serious this time.. but I'm wondering if it could be a vitamin dificiency?

Any suggestions on what I can take for this?? It's keeping me awake at night because I have to keep moving my legs.

Post subject: Re: Restless legs
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:57 pm 

Possible nutritional culprits:
Iron- Anemia can cause this - check with your doc to see if levels are good (this may be tied to why your heart problem caused the same symptoms)
Calcium/Magnesium.
B-12, Folic Acid.

For some people, sugar or caffeine can make it worse - so consider that possibility.
Like your heart condition, there are serious health problems that can cause Secondary RLS, so if it persists, it is good to check with a doc.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:09 pm 

I had it so bad with my heart issues. I could not even drive because it went from being just my legs to going up to my arms as well. I couldn't even sit down for more than a few minutes. It was horrible and almost like I had parkinsons!

I guess I'm just afraid it will get to that point again... :(
I do have iron-deficienCY anemia, so I'll try the iron first. Probably time for a big pot of lentil and bean soup!! ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:06 pm 

Here's what Wikipedia says about Iron for RLS:

According to some guidelines,[44][50] all people with RLS should have their serum ferritin level tested. The ferritin level, a measure of the body's iron stores, should be at least 50 µg/L (or ng/mL, an equivalent unit) for those with RLS. Oral iron supplements, taken under a doctor's care, can increase ferritin levels. For some people, increasing ferritin will eliminate or reduce RLS symptoms. A ferritin level of 50 µg/L is not sufficient for some sufferers and increasing the level to 80 µg/L may further reduce symptoms. However, at least 40% of people will not notice any improvement. Treatment with IV iron is being tested at the US Mayo Clinic and Johns Hopkins Hospital. It is dangerous to take iron supplements without first having ferritin levels tested, as many people with RLS do not have low ferritin and taking iron when it is not called for can cause iron overload disorder, potentially a very dangerous condition.[51]

So, you may want to try Iron first and if none of the natural stuff helps, you can see a Neurologist for medication. There are a few medications that really help, Gabapentin being the main one I know of.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:12 pm 

Thanks, Lisa!
I'll try the natural way first. I do take iron during "TOM" because of the low iron but I sure hope I dont' have to start taking it daily. I just am not one to take pills.

I also have magnesium supplements, so I may try that also for a few days.
I'll add spinach to my soup. I have it cooking right now and it smells so good. I've also added brown rice to it. I have enough cooking to last me a few days.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:46 pm 

You may want to try a Calcium, Magnesium & Zinc combination. You can find this just about anywhere, and I am sure Cindy has it at NSP. It could be a mineral deficiency, but I am clueless about RLS! I do know that when I have really bad cramps in my legs, the CM&Z combo really helps.

I hope you get some relief! I hate taking pills, too!!!!

I can do ALL things through Christ, who strengthens me. (Phil. 4:13)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:13 am 

I hate swallowing pills! So, for my iron I take Floradix Iron and herbs. It's a liquid. It tastes like orange juice with something else in it. Not too bad, but works great. It doesn't have the side effects that iron pills have and it's safe. In fact, it works so fast that after a week on it, my iron increased. It surprised my dr how fast it worked.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:48 pm 

Tory, I hope you're better soon - after the last time being heart related, I imagine this time is very scary - hope it goes away soon & quits bothering you! ((Tory))

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:38 pm 

Magnesium is really good for this and if your heart needs a little more magnesium, it's good for that as well. Magnesium is a WONDERFUL mineral that is good for all sorts of things!
Some of the many uses for magnesium are as follows:
adrenals (exhaustion, weakness, burnout), angina, anxiety, ADD, backache,
high blood pressure, breast swelling & tenderness, calcium deficiency, cramps (leg and menstrual), muscle spasms, fatigue, female problems, heart fibrillation or palpitations, migraine (I just used it for this the past couple of weeks), prolapsed uterus, restless leg syndome, spastic colon, tachycardia, teeth grinding, tics, tremors, twitching...

Just a small listing of the many uses of magnesium. Just make sure you have a plant source as opposed to a rock source.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:00 pm 

Thanks everyone! Laurajean, thanks for the suggestion of the magnesium, I do remember having to take that way back when!
CLW.. I am needing to place another NS order so I'll be looking for this also.
I may also see about something for anxiety. I have several court dates to get through and even though it's getting close to the end, I still get upset over it.