It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:11 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Lettuce
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:10 pm 

Are certain kinds of lettuce healthier than others? Iceberg lettuce is the only kind that stays good long enough for me to use it up and it's cheap. The others go bad really quick, especially the bagged salads. I also like the crunchiness of iceberg lettuce more than the other lettuces. I have been buying a bag of salad, which only lasts a couple days, then when that's gone, I use lettuce from a head of iceberg lettuce. But I was wondering if Iceberg is less healthy than the others because it's not as green. Am I missing certain nutrients by mostly eating iceberg?

Post subject: Re: Lettuce
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:09 pm 

Iceburg has definite flaws and it took me years to enjoy other types of lettuce. It is not an nutrient dense, it is also harder for the body to digest. I have better luck with my lettuce lasting longer if I clean it and dry it (salad spinner usually) and then tear, not cut it into bite sized pieces. When we leave it in the plastic bag, it seems to gather too much moisture and gets wilty or slimy faster. I have cleaned/diried the whole leaves, then stacked them in a container with damp paper towels in between layers and that kept them crisp longer.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:29 pm 

http://www.raw-food-health.net/Iceberg- ... ition.html

Here's a nice article (not that I agree with all the claims it makes, but it's pretty good overall)

Bottom line, (in my opinion) - When God looked over His creation, he declared it good (he didn't make an exception for iceberg ; ). Each vegetable has its own advantages, and it is good to eat a variety of them.

If it were me, I'd try something dark & on sale early in the grocery week, and save iceberg for later in the week menus. That way you can get a nice variety. (and, there's no law saying you have to eat all your veggies in the same salad form - you can put spinach in soup or in with rice dishes, Bok Choy in a stir fry, cabbage in coleslaw, and kale in a smoothie or stir fry)

For cheap and keeps well, frozen spinach is a good bet. I use it in a variety of ways - all much enjoyed - unlike the vilified 1950's canned spinach - which was gross!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:50 am 

If you have a way to vacuum seal your lettuce it may last longer. We talked about the "salad in a jar" thing awhile back. I've not been able to get the "sucker" but I want to try it. Or, could you grow your own?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:28 pm 

We use baby spinach leaves. I buy in in a large plastic tub kind of container. It lasts longer than the bagged kind. It is what we use on sandwichs, in salads, I add it to my chicken enchilladas, soup, etc.
I like it because it is so versatile and its good for us, too.
I did buy iceburg for our 4th of July party and we've been using is slowly. A head of lettuce lasts a long time if I don't put it in anything. I just wash it, allow it to dry out as much as I can, and then put it into a drawer in the fridge. It's been over 2 weeks and I'm surprised it's still good!
There is a salad at Wendy's that is a berrry salad. I'd love to know what kind of greens it has in it. There are 3 different kinds I think, and they are good, not bitter tasting like some I've had. I'd like to start using those here in my salads. I'm the sure the variety is healthier than my plain baby spinach salads.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:35 pm 

Pam, I'll have to try that method of storing lettuce.

Anna, I am trying to get myself to like spinach. It doesn't taste bad, but I can't put my finger on why I don't care for it. It is a little more appealing to me raw, than cooked.

Sis, I've tried vacuum sealing lettuce and it didn't help. If I grew my own, it would have to be in a pot or bucket and I don't know if you can even do it that way?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:01 pm 

I understand the trying-to-get yourself to like a veggie. For a while I had trouble with Kale, which I now love. Sometimes it's just a matter of finding ONE recipe you can enjoy a food in, then you can enjoy it in more and more dishes.

(I don't wash veggies before storage but before use, as someone told me that washing them in advance makes them spoil quicker - don't know how true that is, but it seems to work for me. Our veggies seem to last forever.)
But, there are lots of good greens to choose from - and Iceberg is one of them. I like it, too!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:42 pm 

I love iceberg lettuce! :D It is a vegetable, and most people eat it raw, so that's good. It is a good source of Vitamin K!

I also like other lettuces...Romaine, Red Leaf, Green Leaf....Generally, the darker the leaf - as well as color, such as red - the richer in nutrients. But Iceberg isn't evil :mrgreen: It is good, too. Some salads and dishes just call for Iceberg Lettuce!

I do enjoy Artisan lettuce in the clamshell. I have found that at several places including the commissary and Aldi's. And I am sure other *big* grocery stores, such as Kroger, etc, would carry it, too. But it's no good if you don't like it! I prefer to buy my lettuces fresh, though, rather than the bagged kind....they pump those bags with some kind of gas and I am never convinced that they are clean! :roll:

I do love raw spinach, but it is one of the veggies that I need to limit or avoid due to my underactive thyroid. :( My dd and my sister both LOVE spinach salad, but cannot handle it cooked. You just have to acquire a taste and feel for cooked spinach as it tastes different and tends to be slimy! :lol:

Enjoy your Iceberg Lettuce without any guilt!!!

I can do ALL things through Christ, who strengthens me. (Phil. 4:13)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:53 pm 

You can grow lettuce and spinach in almost anything! the roots dont go too deep. We have grown it in the long window box type planters, round planters, buckets, in the flower beds. This time of year is so hot here it doesnt grow but we had lettuce all winter and until the heat got it this spring. We will plant it again in September or October. Can't wait to have my own lettuce again!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:16 pm 

Carol, that is good to know. One of these days I will get up the nerve to try growing food.