It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:11 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: The Amish have much fewer c-sections!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:48 pm 

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/11/1 ... tion-rate/

Post subject: Re: The Amish have much fewer c-sections!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:54 am 

The baby's photo in the article was worth the peak...adorable.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:36 am 

But, at the very end of the article it says that no high-risk pregnancies were participants, and that might have skewed the results.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:02 pm 

Yes, you can make numbers say anything. :\ But the 4% vs 33% would take some work, I think. ??

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:15 pm 

Since c-sections are largely done because of high risk situations (like preeclampsia, multiples, breech, etc) - sending all the high risk situations elsewhere would change the numbers a lot, IMHO.

I always *hear* of the frivolous c-section in statistical discussions - but I don't know any IRL. When I talk to real women who have had them, 90% of the time I am left wondering why the doctor waited so LONG to choose that option while the woman was suffering with an undeliverable baby. I've known several who simply didn't have the room, physically speaking, for the baby to come out - but the doctor still waited for hours and hours to deliver surgically. I just don't get that.

When I delivered, I told the doc my priority was a healthy baby & healthy me -as comfortably as possible - whatever was the best way for that to happen. Thanks be to God, I delivered naturally & quite easily - but if a c-section had been deemed necessary - I would have gone with it happily.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:30 pm 

I think the days of "just do a c" are coming to an end. For several years (back, I'd say in the 80's and early 90's?) it seemed everyone "needed" a c. It depends on the policy of your hospital and your doctor. My experience has been than hospitals and doctors are in a hurry. If things aren't moving along fast enough they want to "help" by inducing labor, stretching you out, whatever they can do. The women in our church have recently been choosing doulas. They had hospital births before and I know the one girl felt extremely pressured to not only be induced but have an epidural. Her last two at home have been so happy compared to the hospital birth.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:45 pm 

Sis wrote:
I think the days of "just do a c" are coming to an end. For several years (back, I'd say in the 80's and early 90's?) it seemed everyone "needed" a c. It depends on the policy of your hospital and your doctor. My experience has been than hospitals and doctors are in a hurry. If things aren't moving along fast enough they want to "help" by inducing labor, stretching you out, whatever they can do. The women in our church have recently been choosing doulas. They had hospital births before and I know the one girl felt extremely pressured to not only be induced but have an epidural. Her last two at home have been so happy compared to the hospital birth.

I HAVE heard about scheduling issues! That is really weird. Mom said they gave an injection to slow her labor with her first - and nearly stopped it! My older sister was blue when she was born because of that nonsense.

Likewise, I've heard of inductions for the doc's scheduling convenience.

I had a very happy & successful hospital delivery with dd - but then again, I was the perfect patient, from the doc's perspective - she was in and out in about 15 minutes : )