It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:16 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: CLW my dh has a question
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:25 am 

Well, actually several...1)What is the best source "type" or supplement of magnesium (skin oil) or internal. 2) Does it have to be taken with anything else to make it more effective? 3) Is Bentonite clay healthful and also are there any health benefits of diatomaceous earth?

We were able to eliminate my dad's nightly leg cramps that were keeping him up all night with a liquid trace mineral supplement. My mom suffers from chronic low potassium, has been hospitalized several times for this. We believe it is caused by her bp meds and wonder if the magnesium supplement would help counter that.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

Post subject: Re: CLW my dh has a question
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:03 pm 

Sorry, Briva,
my computer is having issues and is dying a slow death.
Earlier in the week I tried to post something about magnesium and it didn't post.

Magnesium is a wonderful trace mineral that I have seen help eliminate leg cramps with many of my clients, including my dh. My preference has been to take it internally. You can take it alone for optimal benefits, and it maximize metabolism of calcium when combined with it.

Be careful with the low potassium. Before gaining my education in natural health, our daughter who passed away was on diuretics and we believe because her potassium was too low, that caused her to pass away. Magnesium may possibly help with low potassium, but I wouldn't use it solely to help increase it, and would rather choose an organic potassium to supplement with.

Here is product information on Potassium and Magnesium that I have available. Perhaps it will further be of assistance to you.

http://hocd.herballure.com/?MID=33485526946814180515

Also, I have used DE for several years for anything from animal and human parasite maintenance, to helping improve the texture and strength of my hair, skin and nails. It makes our animals coats very nice as well and keeps our fly population down.
The only food grade brand of DE that is worth consuming that doesn't taste like mud is from the manufacturer called Permaguard. We purchase it at our local feed store for $27-30 per 50# bag. We go through it rather quickly at our house, but you may wish to split this with another family.

http://www.earthworkshealth.com/human-use.php

Here is also a link about Magnesium and Potassium to check out. Perhaps this will answer more of your questions. I have tried to post this a few times in the last 40minutes and hopefully, it will work this time around.

Magnesium is one of my favorite all around supplements and helps with a magnitude of health concerns including, but not limited to angina, anxiety, adrenals, arrhythmia, arthritis, ADD/ADHD, autism, backache, bedweeting, blood pressure (high), breast swelling and tenderness, calcium deposits, cardiac arrest, cardiovascular disease, congestive heart failure, cramps and spasms, insomnia, kidney stones, irritability, overacidity, restless leg syndrome, schizophrenia, stress, teeth grinding and more.
http://hocd.herballure.com/?MID=33485526946814180515

And no, I like to use it as a stand alone supplement. " )
Hope this answers your questions.
clw

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:17 pm 

Hope y'all don't mind me adding a side note:

Potassium supplementation can sometimes dangerously slow paristalsis - and in succeptible people can result in bowel blockages - which can require surgery or even (as in the case of my Grandmother, as well as a dear friend of mine) - be fatal.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:38 pm 

Don't mind you adding that at all, Anna. Hadn't heard of that.
I DO know that Magnesium can help do just the opposite, as I've experienced it regularly on a consistent basis. ; )

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:43 pm 

I do think it's a rare reaction - but I have noticed that natural (non-prescription) supplements that are Potassium only usually provide a small percentage of the USDA recommendation - and I think that's why. And, since it happened to Grandma (from a prescription level dose), I wanted to mention it.

Wow - I had never heard that about magnesium! (never happened to me!)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:52 pm 

Consider yourself fortunate. ; )