It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:50 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Re: Rheumatoid Arthritis
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:13 am 

I will also add that my friend's cholesterol level dropped dramatically after she started this eating plan....not just a few points, but a LOT. And she has been pain-free, which has been the best part and the objective of her going on this pan. But it seems that this eating plan has some other (very good) side-effects.

I can do ALL things through Christ, who strengthens me. (Phil. 4:13)

Post subject: Rheumatoid Arthritis: diet and more
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:45 am 

Laura,
Your friend is pretty much avoiding all foods that cause inflammation, which is something that not only helps arthritis, but should help keep most inflammatory illnesses at bay, which may include blood pressure, cholesterol, & diabetes, just to name a few.

Essential Fatty Oils are also good to help minimize the pain from arthritis. I have two clients that did the HCG diet this past year, and they were on a ridiculously low caloric intake and had to cut out all the good fats from their diet. Neither one of them could believe how much pain re-entered the picture after cutting out all the healthy fats, and quickly decided to go off it, in order to make their bones feel better. They are both in their 60's and suffer from arthritis.

Lisa, Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disorder. Basically, the body gets confused and attacks its own joints. Viral infections or toxins in the tissues may be the real cause of rheumatoid arthritis. Most people suffering from this use drugs referred to as NSAIDS or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. At first, this may appear to help, as these drugs are known for knocking out the pain, yet they do not address the cause of the illness and they don't remove the toxins that actually contribute to further breakdown of the body.

Others choose to use surgery to minimize the pain, but again, the root cause is not being addressed. Taking care of the pain is merely a band-aid for the situation. I believe you must address all illness from the root cause. Traditional medicine does not approach treating illnesses in this manner & merely address the symptoms.

Arthritis comes from irritation to the joints. Remove the irritant that causes the problem and the irritation will go away. THere are 3 primary causes of joint irritation:
*structural (via mechanical wear or damage)
*chemical stress, which are environmental toxins & nutritional deficiencies that weaken the joints
*Emotional Stress (being frozen in our lives) can be a third source of arthritis.

While naturally addressing arthritis, it is important to bettering the circulation in the area affected to help it heal. Massaging and gentle stretching exercises combined with topical application of something like Deep Relief Oils or Tei Fu Essential Oils will also help ease the pain.

Diet is important. By eating a diet that alkalizes the system's pH, reduction of joint irritations will occur, particularly paying attention to balancing highly acid forming foods like meat, dairy grain, nuts and beans with more alkaline forming foods like fruits and veggies.

Increasingly popular supplements to help with arthritis & joint pain include:
MSM, Glucosamine, Chondroitin; all of which is available in a combination called Ever Flex. This is one of my hubby's favorite supplements. He used to be a professional skateboarder and has suffered many falls, leaving him with back and joint pain. He isn't that committed to working on his diet, so he uses this to help him feel better.

If cartilage is damaged, Collatrim helps prevent the tissues to harden and helps cartilage heal. A few grams a day can help restore mobility to the joints. Herbs can help damaged joints to rebuild. Silica adds resilency to joints so they are less susceptible to damage and can be found in horsetail, Dulse Liquid & HSN-W.

Calcium is important, but calcium alone isn't the answer, as you need other supplements in order to assimilate calcium properly, including Vit. D, silica, boron, & magnesium. Skeletal Strength contains all these nutrients and is the best combination for helping with joint repair. My Mama Doris LOVED Skeletal Strength. It also helps increase bone density. She had a bone density test done and the first one showed her bones as an upper 80 yo woman, were that of a 102-107yo woman. After using Skeletal Strength for 6 months and having her bone density test repeated, her bone density was that of a 57 yo. Her doctor was astounded to say the least!

There are other supplements that can help, but this is a good springboard of things to consider.

Hope this has been helpful.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:45 pm 

"HTH (for Anna....Hope This Helps!)"

Thanks, Laurajean! : )

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:07 pm 

Well, my mom is going to try this diet a little loosely. There are some things she either doesn't eat or won't have a problem getting rid of or substituting. There are a couple things she will decrease, but doesn't want to give up completely yet. She does take something like Everflex and she takes either fish oil or flaxseed.

Is it just white potatoes she should avoid? Can she have red potatoes and/or yams/sweet potatoes?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:58 pm 

Raquel was diagnosed with a handful of degenerative diseases, RA being one of them. As CLW points out, they are autoimmune diseases. Raquel read that autoimmune diseases are food allergies, so she went on an elimination diet to determine which food(s) she was allergic to. She found three foods that she has to avoid, all three of which are on LauraJean's list: wheat, potatoes and tomatoes. As long as she does not eat these, she is symptom free. The foods to avoid may be different for different people.

And, since someone asked, she can eat sweet potatoes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:20 pm 

Lisa, sweet potatoes would be a much better choice than white potatoes, keeping in mind what you put on it, as well. Baked sweet potatoes would be better than fried.

Glad you're mom is going to try to elliminate some food items that could be causing her pain.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:25 pm 

I have rheumatoid arthritis (I was diagnosed with that a few months ago) I also have spinal arthritis,
I have done some reading on foods that help with pain management (I have not however been able to see if these really work, but maybe it wouldn't hurt to try. If you are able to)

So what I have heard is good for pain relief
is cherries
pineapples
and ginger,

(I'm sure I have read of other things but I can remember those at the moment)

I bought a cherry tree this past year so eventually we'll be able to have cherries because they normally cost more than we can afford when they have them in the store.
Hopefully the cherry tree will just stay alive though if it does we'll have cherries eventually.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:42 am 

Lisa, Sweet Potatoes are very good!

I will also add that my friend, in addition to the arthritis, was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. This diet has helped her become pain free, reduced her cholesterol levels dramatically, and brought her diabetes under complete control...she is on NO medication for her diabetes!

Have your mom add some fresh pineapple to her diet, if she likes pineapple. That is supposed to be especially good for pain.

I wish her the very best and hope she enjoys some relief from pain and notices some immediate improvement!

I can do ALL things through Christ, who strengthens me. (Phil. 4:13)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:55 pm 

Laurajean,
When you eat foods that reduce inflammation, disease and illness will subside.
It doesn't surprise me your friend is feeling MUCH better and her arthritis, diabetes and cholesterol have gone away since she began eating right.
" )

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:52 pm 

She has had two appts with a Naturopathic doctor that has been practicing since the 70's and he told her to never get the flu shot again because mercury is the cause. He told her this without knowing that she had just gotten the flu shot and has been having lots of pain since then. He also told her to stop taking fish oil and all the other stuff she was taking, except her medications. He said not to stop her meds cold turkey, but she should be off them in about 6 months. He had her take a bunch of things to detox and get all the toxins out of her organs. He told her to eat her proteins in the morning and her carbs at night. So, no cereal in the morning, for example. She said she was pain free this morning until she ate cereal, then she had pain. She is feeling better since her first appt. a week ago. I am just hoping this works and she isn't wasting money or being taken advantage of.

She has been eating fresh pineapple and trying to eat the other things that help. She is also taking Apple Cider vinegar, which is supposed to help. She also got sweet potatoes.