It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:22 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Milk ?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:07 am 

http://saveourbones.com/osteoporosis-milk-myth/

After reading this article, I want to ask...is milk really good for you?

Post subject: Re: Milk ?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:02 am 

IMHO, no. But I love it - crave it, even. If it makes baby cattle get huge, why do we think WE should drink it?! LOL Beyond that, most people drink store bo't milk - pasteurized and homogenized. So, the pasteurization kills any "bugs" and also anything useful, most likely. Then, the homogenization lends the fat to the milk in a way that it cannot work the way God intended. It changes the molecular structure so it doesn't pass through the body right. Also, there's all the stuff they add to it either directly or indirectly. From what I've read they will sometimes add sugar to milk, and of course the antibiotics and whatever else they feed the cows.

Raw milk is better in most respects, as long as it's "good" milk, but I doubt that it's especially beneficial to us either. I hardly know how to live without using cheese in my cooking, tho'. I love cottage cheese and hard cheeses. I use buttermilk in Ranch. My friends even make their own cheese! And then there's yogurt and kefir. I don't know if those are counted differently or as part of the "milk" they're talking about. ??

I think the fattier parts are better for you than the skimmed milk. Most lactose intolerant people can tolerate 1/2 and 1/2 or straight cream! But I wouldn't say it's "healthier" exactly. ;-) Just less unhealthy. hehe

Unfortunately, few of us eat enough of the foods that are calcium rich.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:32 pm 

StacyinTN wrote:

I agree Stacy, Cow's Milk is not good for humans - at least not in the hugely excessive quantities that Americans consume it.

If the subject interests you, the book "The China Study" by T. Colin Campbell has lots more helpful info on the topic.

(and, if we don't consume the huge amounts of protein we don't NEED huge amounts of calcium - as the article says, it is the over consumption of milk that harms the bones rather than helping them.)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:17 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
StacyinTN wrote:

I agree Stacy, Cow's Milk is not good for humans - at least not in the hugely excessive quantities that Americans consume it.

If the subject interests you, the book "The China Study" by T. Colin Campbell has lots more helpful info on the topic.

(and, if we don't consume the huge amounts of protein we don't NEED huge amounts of calcium - as the article says, it is the over consumption of milk that harms the bones rather than helping them.)

Interesting.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:21 am 

If you go by what the Dairy Education Board says, "Milk is a deadly poison." One of their claims is that milk from cows contains cancer-causing hormones and dairy industry dollars have kept that fact bottled up. However, I really don't know how much to believe/not to believe since our parents/grandparents brought us up on milk and we have turned out to be healthy.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:35 am 

I have noticed that the heavy milk drinkers in my biological line struggle(d) badly with anemia, whereas I don't consume milk & don't have anemia. It is thought that milk blocks the absorption of iron - makes sense to me.

And, in my family line there was rampant heart disease & stroke - both thought to be contributed to by dairy & meat. And, a generation before there was a lot of cancer.

So, in our family, it may be that the consumption of all this stuff didn't aid the health so much.

Also, our generation has a MUCH higher *level* of consumption of this stuff than in generations past. Past generations just couldn't afford so much luxury. As our 98 year old friend says, "Back in the old days, we LOVED meat! We had it as often as we could! Of course, we only *could* on Christmas and Pascha (Easter). . . . "

However, I also don't believe every scare tactic bit out there - it's not like if you drink a single glass you're going to keel over.