It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:47 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Butterscotch Candy *a hard candy
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:29 pm 

Butter Scotch

1 1/2 c. sugar
6 tbsp. vinegar
12 tbsp. water
1 tsp. butter
1 tsp. vanilla
Pinch of salt

Boil sugar, vinegar and water until a hard ball forms in cold water. Add remaining ingredients and pour into a buttered pan to harden. When cool, cut into squares.

I made this today, and it turned out very well, except I should have just cut the squares instead of trying to roll it into balls to flatten into disks, because I burned my fingers several times,
This is the first time I've made it since I was first married, I've never made it for my kids, before. They did like it, and it's not hard to make at all. Very easy.:-)

side note, I'd also lost this recipe is another reason I had not made it, and I could not find a recipe any where for butterscotch that did not include cornsyrup *the original recipe that I used did not use corn syrup, so how I finally found the recipe is I asked on facebook if anyone had a recipe that did not call for corn syrup, and this is the one someone gave me, and I'm pretty sure it's the same one I had before. :-)

So anyway, if any of you are ever trapped at home and want some butterscotch candy, so long as you have sugar, vinegar, vanilla, water, butter, and a pinch of salt you can make it. :-) you will want to use real butter not margarine, margarine is not going to work right for this recipe. Also if you decide to shape it with your fingers you might want some kind of gloves you can use for candy making, because it will burn your fingers if you do like I did today, lol

Post subject: Re: Butterscotch Candy *a hard candy
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:43 pm 

Sounds yummy!