It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:01 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Budding foodie?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:29 pm 

I discovered, and binged watched, the Big Family Cooking Showdown on Netflix. :mrgreen: I'm not a great cook by any stretch of the imagination but i do like experimenting and i like working at certain dishes until i feel competent in them.

Simple everyday foods like omelets and meatballs should, i feel, be second nature to me. They're not. I might master them at times but then i don't make them for awhile and i forget completely how to make them. :?

My mom throws "everything in the pot" and makes a soup. MINE doesn't turn out well if i do that!

Anyways.... i am feeling the need to learn a tandoori chicken or spanikopita, or perhaps shwarma. I don't know. I already make hummus and tabouli and majadara.

I'm making corned beef and cabbage for potluck and tried my hand at Irish soda bread which did NOT turn out well! LOL (Funny, i still keep nibbling on it, tho'!)

Maybe it's because i'm relatively housebound right now that i'm feeling like taking on a cooking challenge. Or it's hormones! :lol:

Post subject: Re: Budding foodie?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:23 pm 

I write down everything I make. Then, if I want to make it again two years later, I can : ) I would NEVER rely on my memory for something like that (at least, not if I had a choice.) I can't even remember what I had for lunch most days. How could I remember the perfect recipe for meatballs if I ever happened to invent it?

If you make a good spanakopita, post the recipe, please. I've never made it! (I have, however, purchased Trader Joe's Freezer food Spanakopita and heated it up , if that counts :mrgreen: )

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:58 am 

Anna1111 wrote:
I write down everything I make. Then, if I want to make it again two years later, I can : ) I would NEVER rely on my memory for something like that (at least, not if I had a choice.) I can't even remember what I had for lunch most days. How could I remember the perfect recipe for meatballs if I ever happened to invent it?

If you make a good spanakopita, post the recipe, please. I've never made it! (I have, however, purchased Trader Joe's Freezer food Spanakopita and heated it up , if that counts :mrgreen: )

I've never worked with phyllo. It intimidates me! I LOVE spanakopita, tho'!

Gotta go watch the sunrise. It is massively colorful this morning!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:37 pm 

I've never worked with Phyllo, either (tho I have watched others do so) - I'm not so much intimidated as I am afraid to make a huge quantity of the treats that are made with it - for fear I'd eat it all!

Besides which, when you're in the Greek culture, you get offered enuf of the stuff on various social occasions to feed your addiction ; )

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:49 pm 

I'm not big on the sweeties but i could probably eat a whole spanakopita!!! :o

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:41 pm 

They're small - have several! :mrgreen:

I don't know if this is bad or good - but I have a MUCH greater weakness for Brownies than for Baklava. I probably *could* make Baklava & keep it around - (unless the house was out of *other* sweets ;) ) I buy it for the family at Christmas &/or Pascha, and sometimes only have one piece of the whole tray.

Brownies I can't leave alone till they're gone. :oops:

The little triangular Spanakopita & Tyropita tho? Those I could really overindulge on if I made them! :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:59 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
They're small - have several! :mrgreen:

I don't know if this is bad or good - but I have a MUCH greater weakness for Brownies than for Baklava. I probably *could* make Baklava & keep it around - (unless the house was out of *other* sweets ;) ) I buy it for the family at Christmas &/or Pascha, and sometimes only have one piece of the whole tray.

Brownies I can't leave alone till they're gone. :oops:

The little triangular Spanakopita & Tyropita tho? Those I could really overindulge on if I made them! :roll:

You just had to, didn't you! :?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:35 pm 

Hey it's SPINACH! It's GOOD for you! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:27 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
Hey it's SPINACH! It's GOOD for you! :mrgreen:

True! But i meant telling me about the TYROpita!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:54 am 

Oh. :geek:

Didn't know you didn't know. :ugeek:

They're often served on the same platter as an assortment. Somehow I can't say one without saying the other :D