It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:45 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Food prices
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:14 am 

Yikes, $7 a can for salmon. My salsa was 'on sale' for $4.19? Havent been buying either for a long time now. Since I have to drive dd to and fro volleyball practice this week, I have been shopping around for better prices. We were suppose to get an Aldi's nearby...got to look into that.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

Post subject: Re: Food prices
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:45 am 

Wow! I can buy a whole frozen salmon fillet that feeds 4 for $7. here (on sale)!

Food prices are going up, but as a percentage of income, prices on food are way better than they used to be - some of them are even better than they *should* be. I've heard farmers say that they can't *produce* a gallon of milk for the price that the retail stores were charging (making no allowance for transportation, markup, packaging, etc)

ON the other hand, here in Ohio, we have some of the lowest food prices I've seen anywhere in the US - and I really enjoy that.

Aldi's is great - you'll love it if you get one : )

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:16 am 

Briva wrote:
Yikes, $7 a can for salmon. My salsa was 'on sale' for $4.19? Havent been buying either for a long time now. Since I have to drive dd to and fro volleyball practice this week, I have been shopping around for better prices. We were suppose to get an Aldi's nearby...got to look into that.

Briva, Ive definitely noticed higher prices on everything; not to mention Im getting less product & paying more for it!

Anyway, do you ever make your own salsa?
Its a lot cheaper and way yummier!

My recipe:

1 large can + 1 small can whole tomatoes
1 onion
2 cloves garlic
4 or 5 jalepenos
Handful of cilantro
Garlic salt to taste
Pulse/blend/eat

Super easy; super yummy
I grow jalepenos & yellow hots, chop & freeze them, so always have them on hand.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:10 pm 

There is so much that goes into the price of food. My son and my husband are two of the "producers" of food. My husband pretty much looses money on the dairy farm, but makes it up in other places.
The price of fuel is one of the biggest factors. I do recommend: buy fresh buy local. Your local producer does not have to spend so much on gasoline to get the products to market.
And still, the USA pays the smallest % of household income on food as anywhere in the world. Many countries in Europe just expect to pay about 50% of their income on food. And that is not even looking as the undeveloped parts of the world.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:31 pm 

I read your post several hours ago, and have been puzzling over it - the buying local thing. I agree that it's a great idea, but here at least it's VERY hard to do. We just got a farmer's market that is only on Thursdays and only in the summer - what If we need veggies on Monday? And, I went to a farmers' market in Illinois a while back that was charging $6. a pint for blueberries (they were $1.50 at Kroger the same week). I like that our Kroger is beginning to carry some local produce, but we're pretty urban folk, and there's just not a farm around every corner. When I was a kid, we could drive past a cartload of corn and buy a paper bag full, but those days seem to be gone around here.

Any tips? I really want to help small farmers out when I can, but it's not so easy - and you can spend a ton of time & gas doing it.

I totally agree about Europe. When we're there the food prices are MUCH higher (on all except fresh local veggies, which are cheaper than here!) For instance, a basic after-dinner cup of coffee is $4. We can expect to spend twice as much for a simple restaurant meal than it would cost here ($14/plate for a simple meal that would be $7 here).

We are spoiled! I'm not complaining, but we are : )

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:46 am 

Well, keep in mind that alot of the produce from the farmers markets are free of all the chimicals and pesticides that we really have no idea are on our foods in the stores. As well as, alot of the veggies in the store are gentically modified now! Grrrr...
So, you really do get what you ay for. Also, you can talk to the local farmers and se if they have a pick your own offer. For example, we can buy fresh corn for $6.00 a dozen or I can drive over there and pick my own for $2.00 a dozen. Then I take it home and either freeze it or can it for the winter. In KY, there was alot of pick your own on fruits. You could pick your own strawberries, blueberries, black berries and apples. It's just looking for those farms.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:05 pm 

I've talked to our farmers who bring stuff to market - many of them DO use pesticides. It is not always organic produce.

There's no place local to go for pick-your-own. It would be an all-day job to drive out to a farm to do it.

I am glad that our Kroger is getting more locally-grown produce. And, even Aldi's has things that come from pretty near- one state away.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:10 pm 

I love the produce at our Kroger's. It actually lasts longer than 2 days after I bring it home.
I wash everything well before cooking/eating.
Our farmers market has priced themselves out of business. We went last year and everything was so expensive that we left without buying much of anything. Most of the people there were saying how much everything costed.
My mom went this year and there was only ONE vendor there! Unheard of.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:16 pm 

I buy whatever fruit is on sale at the store. Sometimes it's organic, sometimes it isn't. Sometimes it's local, sometimes it isn't. I tried buying only organic, but we are fruit lovers, and with the amount we go through, it's too expensive. If I was just getting a little bit for myself, it would be different, but right now it's just trying to keep a family of 4, soon to be 5, fed. The stress of buying organic was too much, freaking out if someone ate too many of the expensive organic apples or drank too much of the expensive organic milk. After prayer, I ditched what was becoming my organic "religion" and feel much better.

I wash the pesticides off and don't feel guilty anymore about not buying organic. I know there are studies that show that's not very effective, there are others that show it is very effective, and even others showing dangers of organic. So, I just do the best I can with what God gives us and I'm thankful that we can at least still afford fresh fruit for our kids when so many can't.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:33 pm 

You know, I guess we are lucky here with our farmers markets. We went to the meetings about a year ago and they were discussing prices. What they do here is check the stores and try to stay right with them. They are either a tad higher or the same. If something is on sale that week, all the vendors offer specials. I was impressed. Maybe it's because of that, that they are growing bigger every year. It's too bad that some markets are charging so much,it's only hurting themselves.
Also, alot of the growers out here are going either organic, or using safe natural ingredients to keepthe pests off. For example, there are some who use the soap and garlic or hot peppers to spray on the plants. The farm we worked for would walk in groups with buckets of water and hand pick off the squash bugs and drowned them.
With all that said... LOL I have been shopping at Smith's which is the same as Kroger. I like their produce better than Walmarts. I have also been blessed by friends who have shared squash and tomatoes with us! Yum! My son is watering for a couple who volunteers for Samaritans Purse and they allow us to eat what we want from his garden while we are watering.
But as far as meat is concerned, we are starting to go vegetarian and not by choice either! The cost of meat is outrageous! So we eat our chili without meat, our spaghetti without meat and we even ate turkey burgers recently because they were cheaper! I can't wait to have a garden again!