It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:18 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Barter items...
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:50 pm 
Site Owner

What ideas do you have for barter items? I'd like to start accumulating some things that could be bartered in a disaster-type economy. I've got a pretty large store of wheat. (We used to make all our own bread, but we've pretty much given up bread altogether!) Any other ideas?

Post subject: Re: Barter items...
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:04 pm 

cigarettes sad but true

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:05 am 

Martha R. wrote:
What ideas do you have for barter items? I'd like to start accumulating some things that could be bartered in a disaster-type economy. I've got a pretty large store of wheat. (We used to make all our own bread, but we've pretty much given up bread altogether!) Any other ideas?

I think any kinds of food would be good, but also any type of work someone else may not can do for whatever reason, especially garden or farm type work, (like helping some plant and or maintain a garden to be shared.)

I have bartered with things like the towels, dishrags and potholders I make for things I've needed.

Any kind of skill that is helpful for survival can in my opinion be bartered, such as teaching someone how to prepare and store foods, *this of course may be something that would be less needed if no one had a way to gather and store food. But may be helpful beforehand.

I'm thinking food and water or a way to purify water would be very important in the case of a major crisis. (When my son was overseas he said a couple of the most important things that people wanted and would do almost anything for was water, then food, then medicines, he said that water was worth it's weight in gold there, but that is also a very dry and hot climate, then with the war going on it doesn't make it convient or easy to have clean safe drinking water. )

Food is something that everyone has to have so I'd say a good supply of food enough for your own family, and possibly near neighbors would be a good idea, but then extra food that you could barter for other items that you may need, would be a good idea.

:)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:08 am 

Martha R. wrote:

I thought of something else to, clothing, and personal hygiene items, like diapers, pads etc, blankets, pillows

I have a friend who lives in a very remote and poor area of the world, and the way they get most things is through bartering, clothing is something that they have used to barter for everything from food to building materials for their house. and not new clothes either or even the best clothes, just regular clothes.

So I'd say clothing, shoes, blankets, towels, personaly hygiene items, diapers, toothbrushes, etc. :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:58 am 

Definitely feminine products. Other things might be soap, seeds, eyeglass repair kits, basic medical supplies.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:11 am 

From everything I've read of WWII - luxury items. Coffee. Special things that make people feel good and cannot be gotten in tough times.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:15 pm 

Sewing needles of varying sizes, thread, waterproof matches, salt, sugar, fishing line and hooks, toothpaste and toothbrushes, reading glasses, aluminum foil, scissors that could be used for hair, hard candies, hand sanitizer, tp, socks, gloves for gardening/outdoor work, stick lighters, q-tips, safety pins of varying sizes, shoelaces, mousetraps.

Post subject: Martha.......
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:53 am 

I read somewhere recently, that razor blades are no longer made int he United States. So that is definitely something to consider.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:29 pm 

Material. In light of the conversation on sewing in another thread, I think that material would be something people would need. Heavy denim and flannel are good ones.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:32 pm 

Hand tools. In a bad economy, people may start to repair what they once threw away.