It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:59 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Leftovers
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:24 am 

I suppose i am weird but once certain foods are refrigerated i don't want them! Cut veggies like onion, cucumber, tomatoes - i don't want them refrigerated or i probably won't touch them. They are ruined. Am i alone in this? I want the platter of cut veggies out on the counter where i can walk by and grab a slice or spear at room temp.

But, my mom goes nutso if they are left out. She will throw them away. :?

I think i mentioned how she went thru and got rid of a bunch of my food either by cooking or just tossing. Some i'm not sure about, like the container of frozen strawberries - gone. She doesn't remember them but they are gone. Kale - gone. Frozen biscuits for company - gone. Fries and hash browns - gone. Shrimp - gone.

I haven't seen my chicken in there either but i wasn't looking for it. I'll be looking for it today because it's just about all that's left!

Dh doesn't get paid til the 21st this month and we are already low due to some miscommunication and now 2 bounced checks! :shock: ouch!

I'm not feeling very frugal or prepared. Guess i'll be cleaning out the big freezer for the next couple of weeks! I'm sure the food in there is mostly freezer burnt but it needs eaten or tossed anyway, right? :ugeek:

(Chicken - gone!)

Post subject: Re: Leftovers
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:50 pm 

Oh ooh.. I'd be not happy about that!

There would be rules, and first one is she is not allowed to throw away anything that is not hers! This is a pet peeve of mine. My dd "helped" clean my kitchen when I was gone to FL with my mom a few months ago... She threw away a lot of things, including a $6 block of organic grass fed butter!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:05 pm 

Tory wrote:
Oh ooh.. I'd be not happy about that!

There would be rules, and first one is she is not allowed to throw away anything that is not hers! This is a pet peeve of mine. My dd "helped" clean my kitchen when I was gone to FL with my mom a few months ago... She threw away a lot of things, including a $6 block of organic grass fed butter!

:o :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:12 pm 

She said it smelled funny... well... That's cause IT'S REAL BUTTER! Lol!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:32 pm 

I don't suppose she replaced it?! sigh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:36 pm 

Sis wrote:

She would have but I told her it's ok. I did but another one. But the rule now is: help organize but don't throw out anything that's not yours.

What will you all eat now that your mom threw out all that food? :?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:22 pm 

Tory wrote:
Sis wrote:

She would have but I told her it's ok. I did but another one. But the rule now is: help organize but don't throw out anything that's not yours.

What will you all eat now that your mom threw out all that food? :?

Start rummaging through the cupboards and big freezer, i guess. Dh is making deer for the guys tonight. I'm not hungry yet so nothing sounds good. I always have Girl Scout cookies to fall back on. :mrgreen:

Dgs cut up some apples and sprinkled them with cinnamon for a snack. She put them in the fridge. I don't LIKE cold apples and he only ate a couple of pieces. sigh I'm going to have to clear a spot in the cupboard to "leave stuff out" in! LOL

She cooked up the piece of chicken i had thawed but used canned tomatoes with hot chilis in it so now i can't eat that. (SHE can, tho', and she'd BETTER!) :P

We may end up putting a kitchenette downstairs for ourselves so we can each do our own thing. Great project for dh, yes? :mrgreen: And i want a bathtub; it doesn't have to be full-size. :idea:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:16 pm 

That's what I do.. It's amazing to my dc what meals I can create when it appears that there is no food in the house.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:18 pm 

I am the worst at making meals from "nothing". Dh is much better at it. He's in charge of his own meals right now so at least i don't have to worry about that. I don't know what mom will do. She can go shopping downtown OR in the bigger town. I can figure out about 4 days worth of meals "on plan".

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:47 pm 

I just spent five days eating minestrone soup. For dinner I would add rice to it. Today I made lentil veggie soup. Ds ate the leftover salmon-aparagus pasta. It's my lighter take on tuna casserole. No soup, I toss the pasta with lime juice, parsley and garlic (that I heated in olive oil).

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26