It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:30 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Erasing dish soap!?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:06 pm 

It sounds like you put a squirt onto a damp sponge and wash the dishes - supposed to save water. What about rinsing them?

My mom is going thru the dish soap like crazy! I wonder if she'd try something like this? Or if i *want* her using it? :lol:

Post subject: Re: Erasing dish soap!?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:53 pm 

Never heard of it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:42 pm 

I have always diluted my dish soap, half and half with water. I fill a little tub with the sudsy water and wash my dishes. It seems like it takes for ever to go through my Palmolive.

My mom had a bad habit of using up paper towels. Where a roll would last me just over a week, she'd go through one in a day and a half. It was a habit of grabbing them to wipe her hands, or two or three to wipe off the counter. I keep kitchen towels to dry hands and smaller wash clothes to wipe counters, they are reusable. Kleenex was another thing. She also left them everywhere.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:24 pm 

Briva wrote:
I have always diluted my dish soap, half and half with water. I fill a little tub with the sudsy water and wash my dishes. It seems like it takes for ever to go through my Palmolive.

My mom had a bad habit of using up paper towels. Where a roll would last me just over a week, she'd go through one in a day and a half. It was a habit of grabbing them to wipe her hands, or two or three to wipe off the counter. I keep kitchen towels to dry hands and smaller wash clothes to wipe counters, they are reusable. Kleenex was another thing. She also left them everywhere.

I don't actually dilute the dish soap but i use the tiniest drop i can get out of the bottle and it lasts me forever, too. I do use more water, tho'. I can't imagine the erasing dish soap lasting longer.

I think people like my mom and your mom probably got used to doing what was the least work and didn't worry so much about the cost. Mine uses a big squeeze of dish soap, even in a small pan. She doesn't use the paper towels much, tho'. THAT would be my dh. Our "nanny" had the philosophy that "if a little is good, a lot must be great!". Lotsa soaps and bleach and pine smelling stuff was gone thru!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:03 pm 

I've never heard of erasing dish soap - so I did an internet search & found a product by Dawn - is that it?

My problem is this: once I wash a dish or two, I have bits of food stuck to the sponge - not to mention germs going from one dish to another. So, I have to rinse the sponge or cloth. I can't imagine how gross my sponge would get washing 8 dishes without rinsing the sponge in between. I'm not a huge germophobe (far, far from it, actually) but this just seems gross to me!

OTOH, I often use the same method as your Mom (detergent directly on the sponge rather than in a tub of water) and I still take quite a while to go thru a bottle of dishsoap. I buy the 99cent kind, too!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:38 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
I've never heard of erasing dish soap - so I did an internet search & found a product by Dawn - is that it?

My problem is this: once I wash a dish or two, I have bits of food stuck to the sponge - not to mention germs going from one dish to another. So, I have to rinse the sponge or cloth. I can't imagine how gross my sponge would get washing 8 dishes without rinsing the sponge in between. I'm not a huge germophobe (far, far from it, actually) but this just seems gross to me!

OTOH, I often use the same method as your Mom (detergent directly on the sponge rather than in a tub of water) and I still take quite a while to go thru a bottle of dishsoap. I buy the 99cent kind, too!

Scratching my head. Well, you're RIGHT! How WOULD you get thru a sink full of dishes without rinsing the sponge?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:39 am 

Briva wrote:

That is EXACTLY how my dd is! It drives me crazy!