It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:37 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Homemaking 101
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:04 pm 

The stars must be in alignment!!! :mrgreen: I can't remember the last time I had the motivation and energy (at the same time) to do any real cleaning. It hit a bit late in the morning and I had to stop to get lunch ready so I didn't get a LOT done but the kids came in and I gave them jobs so, altogether, we made a difference.

I keep thinking I want to do "spring cleaning" - which never got done this year. So, I don't do anything but the very basickest of basics waiting for it to "kick in".

As silly as it seems in my stage of life, I had to think hard on what to do as a first line of offense. :oops: Dishes gather SO quickly and they were left from yesterday so I filled one of the dirty pots and soaked things before putting them in the dishwasher. Then I started in one corner of the counter and moved everything. I washed the one cupboard door, the counter and backsplash, the window and sill and toaster.... and then the kids came in. :| They were willing to join in so I put them to work emptying the fridge and washing it, then replacing everything nicely (with minimal instruction). They did a great job! Dgs was done with the fridge door first, of course, so he started on the lower cupboard doors and did a good job. Then they did the outside of the fridge and I threw away some artwork that's been on there for months. Dgd then straightened the "other" corner of the kitchen where everybody stacks things that don't have a home and vacuumed the corners. Then she decided she wanted to clean windows. (I was dubious.) She cleaned some small panes and did a good job so I let her do the "dog window" - the one the dog always puts her nose on to look outside. She did a great job! (It's a large window.)

That's as far as we got before lunch. I'm happy with the difference it made, even tho' it's not much. Dgd said we should invite someone over after cleaning the house. :? Funny thing, dh told us he invited a family for dinner tonight!!!

I hope it gives me incentive to do more. I'm letting the kids go swimming today for being so pleasant the last two days. 8-) Dgd has really put an effort into getting along with her brother and being "a grownup".

Post subject: Re: Homemaking 101
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:23 pm 

Wow! That's great!

Here's hoping it's contagious (maybe we'll catch it out here, too ; )

Post subject: Re: Homemaking 101
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:34 pm 

Okay, they deserve banana split sundaes after that!

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26