It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:13 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Just remembered this board....
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:56 pm 

so thought I'd come here with my food preservation infatuation. :mrgreen:

I want to do what Anna(?) suggested eons ago and keep track of what we actually eat. Then I'll use that info to help guide me in food preservation with an open mind to try some new things, too.

My mom used to make incredible pastas - tomato pasta, spinach pasta, etc. She used it quickly enuf not to have to preserve it. Not quite ready to make pasta but the thought is there cuz we do use it. Pasta with veggies is a meal, right?

I had to make bacon this morning for dh so I went ahead and baked some extras to freeze ahead. :mrgreen: It's "flash freezing" right now. I'll put them in a freezer bag and crumble or warm as needed.

Meanwhile, I split 5 English muffins in half and put mozarella cheese and Canadian bacon on them. I cooked 5 eggs in the oven in those little glass Pyrex bowls and put those on top. Wrapping each muffin in plastic wrap and then put them all in a gallon freezer bag. I toasted one muffin just to see the difference. If nothing else, I can see this helping me stay OUT of these things while others can have them.

Other things I plan to freeze this week are chocolate orange crumb cake and a chicken pot pie or two. I think if I do this each week I'll stock up quite a bit of pre-made foods. :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: Just remembered this board....
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:03 pm 

I don't remember suggesting that . . . But, it does sound like a good idea : )

My sister makes her own pasta, too! Personally, I'm very grateful that the Barilla stuff sells for just over a buck a box ; )

Check your email, Sis - I emailed you : )

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:18 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:

My sister makes her own pasta, too! Personally, I'm very grateful that the Barilla stuff sells for just over a buck a box ; )

Bummer. It was probably Coastal Carol then? I don't remember but it's a great idea! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:26 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:

True, and so am I. But, there are times when making your "own" seems so satisfying. Like making your own yogurt or cheese or butter or bread or pie crust - wait, I don't do pie crusts.