It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:08 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Recipe idea for bits of meat?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:17 pm 

Hey, y'all!

I'm going to a pre-Lent party soon - a potluck. It's the last day for meat before Lent (but there's another week of cheese before we really "settle in")

Any recipes for things I could make to use up the meat I already have on hand -
1) one package of Beef Cold Cuts, (about 8 slices)
2) maybe 3/4 cup of diced ham (I bought it to top pizza) and
3) a few strips of pre-cooked bacon?

I've thought of things like those little tortilla pinwheels, or maybe a crustless quiche, but if y'all have a great idea (or a recipe that would give actual instructions for the above), I'd love to hear it. If you have different recipes for different ingredients, that would be great, too : )

Post subject: Re: Recipe idea for bits of meat?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:36 pm 

Hmm.. the ham and bacon I'd use together in something. They complement each other in taste. The quiche sounds like a good idea. I don't have a recipe but I'm sure you could google a simple one that uses ham and bacon.

The beef... if you decide not to do the tortilla roll ups, then maybe chop it up and add to gravy and pour it on top of mashed potatoes. That's simple and easy and something I know would get eaten up around here. It helps little bits of beef go further if you don't want to make a soup.

Post subject: Re: Recipe idea for bits of meat?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:43 pm 

I make a veggie rice that was my moms recipe, she would add diced ham to it and it would be very savory. I start off with diced onion, carrot, green pepper, celery and a few cloves of garlic then simmer that in a light tomato sauce for 20 minutes. You can add the ham to that. Then when the carrots are tender add whatever veggie you have on hand. I like corn, chopped fresh asparagus, peas, then add rice and water for that and steam until done. I tweak it with bay leaf, pinch of cumin and oregano.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26