It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:15 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Ok...I'll go first!!!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:21 pm 

I love paper-crafting.....card making (I really love to make cards!), scrap-booking, digital scrapbooking and paper-crafting (ok...I am working on learning how to do this!), and all other forms of playing with paper. It is just fun! :lol:

Any other paper people out there??? :D

I can do ALL things through Christ, who strengthens me. (Phil. 4:13)

Post subject: Re: Ok...I'll go first!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:00 am 

Have you done any origami? We went through one of those Dover books on origami. Made some Christmas ornaments. I like to draw on paper. So I have a craft closet full of different types of paper.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:25 am 

I am still finding my passion. I used to want to make cards, now that I have things to do so, I only want to do it once in a while. Same with sewing and scrapbooking. I think my new interest that will stick is working and creating with polymer clay. Ever since Rachel started her business, I have been intrigued. She is actually going to give me some clay lessons this afternoon. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:58 am 

My Grandmother did quilling. My Mom liked to make cards (she had a whole bunch of supplies that I had to find a home for!).

Me? I color with my little one sometimes ; )

And, I can make a cup or an envelope origami-style when needed. That's it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:52 pm 

My daughter told my wife the other day that I must be an expert working with paper. I had made paper airplanes for her and my son a couple of days before and I had shown them the folding and cutting required to make paper snowflakes for a craft project our daughter was working on.

When I was a kid we made paper chains and gum wrapper chains and all sorts of decorations out of paper (it is after all, cheap). The story goes that my maternal grandmother taught crafts for the Chicago Park District back in the 40s and 50s and that she also taught all of her kids and grandkids all sorts of crafty stuff as she got older. She also taught us all how to cook and sew (even the boys) before we were teenagers.

All that is a roundabout way to say that I do paper crafts with my kids as well. I taught my wife and daughter how to make paper doll chains. I'm not as good as I once was, but I still manage.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:06 pm 

"All that is a roundabout way to say that I do paper crafts with my kids as well. I taught my wife and daughter how to make paper doll chains. I'm not as good as I once was, but I still manage."

And your dd thinks you are pretty amazing it seems. Not a bad place for a dad to be in his daughter's mind. ;)

Post subject: I used to quilt
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:17 pm 

before our son was born, but all our storage area for my quilting supplies was turned into a nursery for the baby. When he was 2 my dad was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and came to live with us for a season & I couldn't leave without him coming with me, or after he was asleep and my dh was home. During that time, I got stir crazy and someone shared their interest to make cards and scrapbook with me and I fell in love with papercrafting and would stay up well into the night from time to time creating things. I've done some scrapbooking, but that doesn't hold my attention as much as card making.

Now that the kids are starting to grow up and move out of the house, I have a bedroom I have designated to papercrafting again and am organizing all my supplies.
Each time I get it where I want, one of the adult children moves home again, and I have to box them up again.
Life has been a little crazy for several years as I tend to my parent's needs, but I have been making time to stamp the past few months as a stress buster. It works wonders to keep me sane and calm.

I just made friends with a few other local ladies and we're going to start getting together to stamp beginning next week at my house, and we'll talk about taking turns hosting our cardmaking time together.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:54 pm 

My mom just gave me a box of stamps and ink pads. I wonder what new door this will open for me? I have never gotten very far in cardmaking but some of them are so beautiful and creative.
(keep in mind I also have a kit to learn how to knit and have never opened the box, so.. this could go either way, lol)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:53 pm 

Quote:
I just made friends with a few other local ladies and we're going to start getting together to stamp beginning next week at my house, and we'll talk about taking turns hosting our cardmaking time together.

Cindy, this is a great way to get crafting! I meet weekly with a bunch of ladies, about 22 of them now, to crochet; some of them knit, some just come to visit. Its usually the only time I have to actually work on a project. Its hosted at our church because everything we make is for charity.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:04 pm 

Briva,
I have to force myself to slow down enough to take time out to relax with other women. I am really looking forward to this! A young man from our old church is a chaplain in Afghanistan, and I will be suggesting we make some cards for the soldiers serving over there to send to their families for special occasions.

There's also a young lady I know who is getting married soon. She only has a month to get ready for her wedding. Having lived with her retired grandparents most of her life, they are pulling off a wedding on a shoe string, and I was asked to help them with invites. Just finished the rough draft and if the family likes it, I'll ask the gals if they want to help make the invites when we get together.

I still really like your idea of crocheting the mats out of plastic garbage bags for 3rd world countries. I may suggest that again to our church and see if anyone wants to get together to make these. We have a group who goes to Haiti regularly. Do you still have the link for this? Our old computer crashed and I lost it in my bookmarks when that happened.