It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:17 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Re: Puzzles
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:22 pm 

They might be easier to fit upside down - if the pattern is only a distraction not a help.

I heard of one once called Orange Madness - a solid orange circle :?

the only puzzles I do are those dd forces me to "help" her with. That's about my level of competence (you know, 25 pieces or less : )

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:32 pm 

I did have to do that (hunt and piece) with the last one I did... but it was only about 25 pieces. This one I have oh.. estimating.. several hundred left to go.
I have left it alone and then came back to it, lol! It's been sitting there for a while now. I worked on it some last night and finished the mountain. I'll try again tonight. Maybe something will click in my brain. lol!! (I laugh because that's not likely to happen as not much "clicks" in my brain these days, lol)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:09 pm 

OH Well, .... I'd probably give that up, too! : \

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:15 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
They might be easier to fit upside down - if the pattern is only a distraction not a help.

I heard of one once called Orange Madness - a solid orange circle :?

the only puzzles I do are those dd forces me to "help" her with. That's about my level of competence (you know, 25 pieces or less : )

Ok.. orange madness would drive ME mad! lol!
I might try your upside down trick. It can't hurt at this point. I'm SO close to finishing it and hate to quit.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:01 am 

Ok, I'm giving up on it. At least when I put it away I'll have that end of my table free for a while before I start another puzzle.
;)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:34 pm 

Well.. an interesting turn of events! I did take the puzzle apart and put it away. It gave me a chance to clear off the end of the table and wipe it down. I then took a small shelf that dd no longer wanted and I'm using that to store the boxes of puzzles on now. I did this yesterday.
I talked to my mom today and guess what??
She's in FL visiting her sisters and their husbands are both puzzle people. They are sending me the puzzles that they are finished with!
My mom says I have a lot of puzzles coming my way. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:57 am 

Sis wrote:
Ahhh. Even tho' they look alike, do they all fit together? Unless there's a LOT left you could always try the hunt and fit method - try one piece in every direction, then try another piece?

When I get to that point I sort them into piles based on approximate shape (no pointy parts, one pointy part, two adjacent pointy parts, two opposite pointy parts, three pointy parts, four pointy parts and "other"). I then start at a corner of the open section (where you have two adjacent gaps or points) and start cycling through the appropriate piles that might match. Once you get into a groove it goes pretty quickly.