It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:21 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Re: Book or recipes
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:46 pm 

Here are a couple of my easiest new Bride recipes. Actually, for meat, there some of the ones I use most often. They're ridiculously easy, and always amazingly well-received. I've never tasted either one, but my diners are honest enough to tell me if meat tastes good or not when I make it. The first one here is what I served this evening:

FROZEN Roast in slow cooker
Put 2 to 4 pound frozen beef roast in slow cooker after removing any plastic or other wrapping.
Put dry seasonings on top of frozen beef
1 packet onion soup mix (such as Lipton), dry (or equivalent bouillon and minced dry onion)
1 teaspoon garlic powder or fresh minced garlic
(recipes say up to a cup liquid may be added, but I usually cook it dry and it makes its own broth)
Cook on high 4 hours, or on low for 6-8 hours
This turns out a super-tender roast. I often put this in before Church on Sunday mornings, and when we come home, just fix side dishes to serve company to create a meal.
(For Thanksgiving, I follow the exact same recipe as above, except I use a frozen Turkey breast in place of the Beef - for a small crowd, this works great - but it does cost a lot more per pound than making a whole Turkey)

Barbecue Baby Back ribs
Buy slab of baby back ribs – have it cut in 4 pieces, cutting between the bone (so it’ll fit in crockpot) A butcher will usually do the cutting for you, or you can do it yourself.
Put into crockpot with 1/2 bottle barbecue sauce (18 oz hickory smoke flavour – like Kroger brand works well)
Cook on high 5 hours (another hour on low is okay, but unnecessary)
Will fall off bone!
Remove from slow cooker with tongs to serving platter.
Top with the rest of the bottle of sauce to serve.

Last edited by Anna1111 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:19 pm 

Thank you, Anna! These look great! I love slow cooker recipes and will have to try these myself, as well as pass them on to her.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:33 pm 

Oh- on the frozen beef recipe, I just noticed the weight range was a little inaccurate. I'm going to edit it to say 2 to 4 pounds instead of 3-4 pounds, since I often do a 2something pound one for our small group.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:21 pm 

I second the pot roast recipe! I don't put my in the crock pot, but it's same recipe I got from my MIL and it's great every time and simple to do. My sons can cook it!
I do add water enough to cover the meat halfway and then whisk in 1/3 to 1/2 cup flour and it makes a wonderful gravy.
You can also add carrots, onions, potatoes, and mushrooms.
:)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:48 pm 

I have a couple of crockpot roast beef recipes that are pleasers, too. :) My most recent one is to put the roast in the crockpot, sprinkle a packet of Ranch dressing on it, put 1/2 cube (quarter lb) butter on that, put slices of 2 jalapeno peppers on top (seed the peppers and beware that you wash your hands before rubbing your eyes!). I start mine at night, usually, and it's ready for breakfast... hehe... or lunch.

Another one, if you like it hotter, is to put the roast in, cover with a can of beefy mushroom or beef broth, and top with a small can of chipotles in adobo sauce!

Yet another is to put the roast in, quarter an onion on top and then top the whole thing with a can of mushroom soup.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:54 pm 

Simple roasted chicken, took me years to perfect with right seasonings and timing issue. I have noticed that chickens went from being around 2 1/2 -3 1/2 lbs to now averaging 5lbs at the grocer. I buy mine from a chicken farm now, they average 2 1/2lbs.

1 chicken, rinse and pat dry. Rub into the cavity:

1 tbsp salt
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
Also toss in about 4-5 cloves of garlic, peeled

Place in oven proof pan, pour 1/2 cup white wine over the chicken and cover with foil. Place in preheated oven at 350 degrees for one hour, remove foil and bake about another 45 min until golden brown and temperature of chicken is at least 160.

I strain the broth and add it to the mashed potatoes.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:27 pm 

Thank you guys!