It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:57 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Learning to knit
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:55 pm 

I'm trying to teach myself from a book.
I feel like saying "shoot me now!"

It's definately harder than crocheting.

Once I learn I have visions of all kinds of nice things I can make for the baby!
:lol:

Post subject: Re: Learning to knit
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:12 pm 

I've tried to learn twice and given up. I even used a video demonstration and it didn't help. The only way I will learn is if I sit down with someone one on one and they teach me. If/when that opportunity comes, then I will learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:42 pm 

I can take classes. I'm considering it but they are 30 minutes away and at night. :(
I do think I'd do much better with an actual person teaching me.

With crochet, at least the needle has a hook that holds the yarn! With knitting, everything just slides right off.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:32 pm 

Tory wrote:
With crochet, at least the needle has a hook that holds the yarn! With knitting, everything just slides right off.

I tell that to the ladies in my group that knit and they say to try circular needles. My dd likes them better and they work for her. Me, I am not coordinated enough to hold two needles. But I have been tempted to learn. I can do 'anything' with crochet, lace, cables, etc. that I just dont feel the need to actually learn to knit. Maybe someday. Good luck with your ventures.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:05 pm 

Knitting is something I think most people must learn one on one (or at least with a teacher). They will show you twisted threads that will make a big difference in your product and you need to learn that from the beginning. "Real knitters" can probably also show you alternative ways to hold your needles. I'd go for the classes, Tory. At night in the summer isn't so bad. :) I hope the classes are at least 45 minutes long, tho'.

I like knitted things much better than most crocheted things but knitting IS harder, imo. You have to become familiar with dropping stitches and how to pick them up again. Correctly. ;-)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:02 pm 

I found a kit on clearance today that has larger needles and larger yarn.
I'll try again. If I don't throw it all into the garbage... :lol: ... and find that I might actually like it... then I'll look into taking the classes. (The classes are $35. plus you have to buy the yarn from them.. then the gas back and forth.)

Briva.. I'm like that with crocheting. I learned at a very young age and can make almost anything.
My BFF knits and makes the most beautiful things, so in a moment of absolute idiocy, I thought I'd try it. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:40 pm 

I figured out what I was doing wrong when I was casting on.. and then I was able to do the knit stitch with no problems!
YAY!
I haven't tried the purl stitch yet, but I can say that having the larger needles and yarn is a major improvement!!!
It makes is much easier to hold onto and also to see what each stitch looks like. It stays on the needle easier, too.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:21 pm 

Well, this is going well. I'm learning and my work actually looks like the pictures in the book. :)
I have a new hobby now. ;)
I don't know what my first official project will be yet.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:18 pm 

Good for you. I can't even crochet. I wish I had someone near to help me too.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:44 pm 

I tried knitting and made a bunch of dishcloths, but then I realized how long it takes me to k it vs. how quickly I can crochet and went back to crocheting. I made my grandson a sock monkey hat and already have my
Christmas presents fpr my gal pals...dishcloths and will male some goat milk soap to go along with them. i will be making mom a small blanket for her bed, too, as she's always loved my crocheted items.

I hope you make a great student in knitting. You can have my needles if you want. ;) A froend sent me a whole bunch of needles. I just don't have the patience for it.