It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:46 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Re: Learning to knit
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:53 pm 

Now that my shoulder is better... I'm going to attempt to knit again. I am thinking of switching to holding the yarn and needle in the right hand and doing the stitches with the left.
From what I'm reading and I "think" some of you mentioned on here, that it can be done that way with a little practice.
This way, I won't be using my right arm as much and hopefully will be able to knit without causing the pain I have endured this past month.
It'll be starting over, but let's face it.. I wasn't really that far into learing it the other way. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:57 pm 

Today I found some new yarn that I really like... I'm going to make some simple Christmas gifts!
I think it'll be hard to do because the yarn is pretty thin and calls for a size needle I don't have.. but I DO have the next size up.
I can't find the bamboo kind every keeps saying I need, to keep the yarn from sliding off the needles... I do think it'll be easier with those, but I have to work with what I have.
And I'm "making this work"!! One way or the other.
I am sticking with knitting the normal way, but I'm propping my arm up and making sure I have good back support so I'm not putting so much strain on my shoulder. So far so good.
I can't wait to get the first gift finished! :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:47 pm 

Okay - I don't knit *at all* - but what's the difference between a bamboo knitting needle & a bamboo chopstick? Could you sub one for the other?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:23 pm 

That's the same thing my ds asked me!!
lol!
(I don't know the answer. I'd think that the chopstick would snag the yarn, but that's just a guess.)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:27 pm 

I'd give it a try! A chopstick can't have splinters - the diner would be bleeding. They're free when you buy dinner! ; )

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:49 pm 

I actually have an unused pair that I got today, when dd and I went to lunch! :lol:
They seem much thicker than my metal knitting kneedles are, and not as pointed.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:21 am 

Yeah - I suppose you'd have to find the right gage. Some chopsticks are pointy, and some aren't. Usually, the pointed ones are also shellacked, or otherwise slipperier. I'll bet you could find chopsticks that would work a lot easier (and possibly cheaper) than knitting needles

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:15 pm 

I had a 40% off coupon so I bought a pair of the bamboo needles. They have their pros and cons.
Pros.. the yard does NOT slide off the needle! So that is great.. less dropped stitches that way. It does take a little getting used to, but once I learned how, it's actually easier to knit with them. I'm getting more done in less time. :)

Cons... because the yarn doesn't slide.. it does not slide at all!! So more work trying to get the knitted part to move down the needle as I knit. It's not a big thing, but a little bit more of an effort to get the worked piece to move when needed.
They are expensive! Too much money and if I hadn't had a coupon, I would not have bought them. And you need different size needles for different projects, so no way I could afford a complete set of them.
(Cindy.. if you have needles you are willing to send me, I'll take them!) I had no idea how costly these things are. :(
Overall: I'm enjoying this. I'm learning quickly and getting some gifts made, too.