It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:30 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Help me figure out dehydrating soup! : )
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:16 pm 

My recipe says to cook the cabbage, carrots, and onion in oil about 10 minutes (til carrots are tender). Then whisk together veggie stock and tomato paste and add that. Bring it to a boil and stir in chunked apple and brown rice. Lastly you stir in cashews and raisins (but I use currants cuz I like them better).

My question is - wouldn't it be easier and better to dehydrate the cabbage, carrots and onion without cooking it first? I suppose I'd also want the tomato paste in there, too, because I want everything in a state that can be "shelf ready". I think I would dehydrate those veggies and the tomato paste then grate the dried tomato paste into a powder and add it to the dried veggies to store. ??

I don't know about the apple. Would dehydrated apple chunks dissolve into the soup the same as a fresh apple? I'd keep the rice, currants and cashews in their already dried state but could I put the rice in with the dried veggies to store?

Anybody done something like this? I've never even dehydrated anything in a dehydrator before.

Tho's? Ideas?

Post subject: Re: Help me figure out dehydrating soup! : )
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:32 pm 

I am interesting in learning to dehydrate but have never done anything. The book to my dehydrator mentions cabbage but I can't figure out what I would use dried cabbage for. I like fresh cabbage, like in slaw or steamed, but not in soups. I am assuming cabbage after it has been dried is not going to be suitable for slaw. I'm thinking of trying some sweet potato slices.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:13 pm 

Carol, are you SURE you don't like cabbage in soups? Besides this soup I have a sausage and cabbage soup we love and we also love katsudon, a Japanese dish of cabbage and onion. OH! I gotta try to dehydrate that! :)

Here I talk and haven't dried one thing yet!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:18 pm 

http://www.easy-food-dehydrating.com/de ... bbage.html
This website suggests you CAN use dehydrated cabbage for slaw!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:38 pm 

Thanks Sis! That's very exciting. I have a head of cabbage, I'll have to try a little in the dehydrator and then make slaw from it. That would be awesome if it works well doing that.

Ok so I'm not SURE about the soup ;) Probably I've never tried cabbage in soup but it just doesn't sound good to me! I just made some slaw with dinner and that was yummy :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:29 am 

It *is* exciting! I can't wait to try some of these things. Let me know how the dehydrated slaw turns out!

Post subject: I did it!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:12 pm 

I tried it two different ways but haven't rehydrated either yet.
First I dried shredded cabbage, onion, carrot, apple and brown rice. I put those in a jar. Then I used my coffee grinder to grind up enough boullion cubes for 3 cups of broth. I mixed that in with the dried veggies. In a little baggie I added the "add late" ingredients - currants, cashews and salt. It's all ready to add water and have soup! I'm anxious to try it but I have too much food that has to be eaten first.

Second, I made the soup regular but without the added cups of water. I let it cook down to the consistency of condensed soup and let it sit over night to absorb as much moisture into the rice as possible. Then I spread that on a fruit leather tray and dehydrated it. It came out just like fruit leather! Lol. I broke it into pieces to fit in a small jar, too.

The first way definitely looks prettier in the jar. ;-) I think that's how I'd like to send it to people I want to try it like my bff or my grands. The proof will be in the tasting, tho'.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:16 pm 

Oh that sounds good!

I will probably try the cabbage/slaw tomorrow. I did some sweet potatoes over the weekend. Just peeled and sliced very thin, sprinkled a little salt on them, and dried. They are delicious. We ate it as fast as I took it out of the dehydrator! Definitely going to do more of those. They are just so hard to peel. I may try boiling them a few minutes before peeling to see if that makes peeling go faster.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:37 pm 

You eat them like chips?! How great is that?! :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:59 pm 

Did you try it? I was not impressed with my dehydrated soups. : \