It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:36 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Victory Gardens
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:58 pm 

Location: The O.C. -- 7 miles from D'land, 7 miles from the beach
For Independence Day, I decorated my home with replicas of old posters from WWI and II that I found on line. Most were along the lines of "Don't Waste Food", etc. There were quite a few advertising Victory Gardens -- growing your own good. Even back then it was something that had to be taught to people! The Industrial Revolution, with its multitude of former farmers flocking to the big cities to work, created a people that rely on others for their basic sustenance.

We have a townhome with a patio out back. While we have beds dug on either side, we also have a pet bunny who is quite a chomper. Growing veggies in the ground is not an option for us, although we had quite a lot of success before Babbitt joined the family.

Now I've got tomatoes in pots on pillars and milk crates, where Babs can't reach. I've also got a few herbs going on my potting bench. I'd love to put in zucchini or something like that, but it just gets too big. Now I'm wondering if it's too late for beans. I could have them go up on a trellis... Hmmmmm.... Our growing season goes really late here, so the weather shouldn't be an issue.

We won't be able to grow enough to feed our family, but we can add to what we have. I'm sure if we took down the EZ up and put in rows of pots that we could easily grow a lot of food, but we use our patio to entertain and hang out. Hubby and I were out there tonight with binoculars to watch the hummingbirds (we have three that visit our yard) and the cat and bunny were hanging with us. ;)

I am a retired homeschooler with brilliant beautiful Godly boys who please and surprise me every day. I live with my sweet hubby of 22 years. Life changes all the time, but God has blessed us with the ability to keep our eyes on His prize.

Post subject: Re: Victory Gardens
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:05 pm 

I don't think it is too late for beans. I am on the east coast. We are still planting beans, we stagger the plantings. We have better luck with bush beans in earthbox type containers than pole beans but that may just be us. We have lots of shade and not great soil. I would try the beans!

Post subject: Pam.....
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:44 am 

I'd try to grow anything and everything I could.

We need the practice, and learning experience, to know what grows well, what diseases can attack certain crops, how much water or sun is needed in our particular spots, etc.

I'd plant any/every edible possible, any/everwhere!

Especially, if I had a long growing season, like you do.

Every time I water my ornamentals, I think to myself, I should be watering a food bearing plant instead! I hope to replace many of our ornamental trees with fruit trees, this fall.

Post subject: Re: Victory Gardens
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:47 am 

Location: The O.C. -- 7 miles from D'land, 7 miles from the beach
Fruit trees haven't flourished in my yard. I even had a blueberry bush that died. My little dwarf lemon tree is finally producing more than 1 lemon at a time -- YEARS after getting it. I assume my soil needs to be amended in some way for fruit, but the veggies and shrubs like it fine as-is (I vermicompost).

I may try to do some beans. I can't wait for the tomatoes! The cherry tomatoes have been doing their thing for awhile, but the others are heirlooms and may not really produce until September.

I work for a company that creates garden boxes and raised beds for people, so I'm getting a lot of info about diseases and funguses that plants get. I've never really thought about those things before; I guess I never experienced much of it. I'm learning, though.

I am a retired homeschooler with brilliant beautiful Godly boys who please and surprise me every day. I live with my sweet hubby of 22 years. Life changes all the time, but God has blessed us with the ability to keep our eyes on His prize.