It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:10 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Cool Website
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:52 pm 

http://hearth.library.cornell.edu/h/hearth/

I think many of you will find this fscinating. Around the 1910's (under browse) there are lots of books on small house design, in addition to lots of other domestic topics.

Unfortunately, they don't allow download of entire texts, but you can browse, and then perhaps find the same titles elsewhere for keeping.

Post subject: Re: Cool Website
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:13 pm 

I haven't looked at this link yet but I love to look at the tiny house plans and pictures. I think it was Kysa that posted a link to a tiny house blog and I just got engrossed looking at them. I think that would be so cool. It would take some convincing for dh though ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:18 pm 

Our house is significantly smaller than average, but by no means "tiny"

I like having room to put stuff if we need to (like the two houses of stuff we just inherited). I don't plan to keep it forever, but I do like being able to sort it at my leisure and not be forced to dump it without looking at it.

Also, my sister lived in a tiny apartment for a while. Like tiny house dwellers, everything had a double-purpose - for example, the stove was used for storage. Which made it so inconvenient to cook dinner that she ate out more often than she would have liked. I like the convenience of having room to maneuver.

And, I like to have people over for food, or as house-guests.

I like to romanticize the tiny house concept, and dream about it, but wouldn't choose it IRL.

(Hey, it just occurred to me, this could be a great way to avoid those relatives! ; )

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:44 pm 

We own 4 acres with a mfg home on it. We lived for 9mths in our 34ft rv which is barely 400sf. We plan to sell the mfg home and build a tiny house. It would be easier to sell the property with a REAL house on it. Right now no bank is lending for a used mfg home.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:47 pm 

Hope it goes well for you!

I might be able to LIVE in a tiny home IF I had a large storage building and a nice hall for guests next door ; )

(Actually, my paternal grandmother lived in a very small house & DID have a nice community room in the fire house next door that she used for family get togethers - it was great!)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:36 pm 

I'd like a smaller home with fewer rooms but larger rooms. We have a brick ranch style home and the rooms are just too small. You can't even have good furniture in them because they are so small.