It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:39 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Someone is always commenting...
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:52 pm 

I feel as though every time I shop someone, whether it be the cashier or another customer in line, feels the need to comment on my purchases concerning how many of a certain item I'm buying. The latest was this past weekend. I bought 6 cans of tomato sauce that was on sale. The cashier made a comment about that being a lot of cans and wanted to know what in the world I was going to make with all that. I politely explained that I use it for homemade pizzas, each can had enough for 2 pizzas, and what I purchased would only last 6 weeks. (Didn't mention how many other cans I already had at home from this same sale! LOL) I mean 6 cans at once is just not a big deal!

These comments have only been happening the last 3 to 4 months. Is this happening to anyone else? What puzzled me was why this cashier thought 6 cans was a lot. I don't pay attention to what other customers in line are purchasing, and we don't have double/triple coupon stores here so you'd never see anyone with multiple buggies full of items like on the show Extreme Couponing - is it really that unusual for someone to be purchasing 6 of a sale item??? I can't help but wonder whether all these people are trying to feel others out about stockpiling or if most of society truly does just purchase 1 of any particular item (so not taking advantage of sales, not having any sort of stockpile cushion at home, stopping by the store several times a week for needed items, etc.).

Post subject: Re: Someone is always commenting...
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:24 am 

Well, I will admit to being one to comment on someone's groceries altho' I try to keep it light. The lady in front of us yesterday had two carts and was definitely buying Thanksgiving stuff for a large crowd. Then there were quick noodle meals and dog bones that seemed out of place but of course they were for the cooks. ;-)

To answer your question, I like to find out what people are doing with certain things in their carts whether it's in the material store or in the grocery store. I usually don't ask unless the person seems talkative. No, I wouldn't have even tho't anything about you buying 6 cans of tomato sauce. Canned tomato products are so versatile that it's one thing I can't keep in stock.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:40 am 

I would assume they're just trying to be friendly. If you're in a store, and someone wants to strike up a conversation, the obvious starting point is the stuff in the store.

Perhaps they're interested in couponing themselves, and want to learn about your method.

Post subject: I dont know, tkd....
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:09 am 

But I ALWAYS get stares & comments.
Six people in my house and I prep.
I take it very seriously, so I prefer no observer comments or nosiness about what I'm doing...but it rarely happens that way.
Doesn't deter me...just annoys me.

One just needs to look to hurricane Stacy, as ANOTHER example of the need to be prepared for disasters..but most people in this country cannot see the forest for the trees!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:18 pm 

If it makes you feel any better, I bought 6 cans of tomato sauce and 2 cans of tomato paste the other day, and it is not for a stock pile. ;) I'm a chatter and if the line is going slow, I might make a comment about something in reference to what they might be cooking. Gives me ideas, or sometimes someone's ingredients show what they are making and it sounds good.

I think people are just curious most of the time.

I do want to restock our shelves a bit though. We don't have much more than 2 weeks worth of ingredients at any given time.

Post subject: Re: I dont know, tkd....
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:20 pm 

Donna/NM wrote:
I prep.
I take it very seriously, so I prefer no observer comments or nosiness about what I'm doing...but it rarely happens that way.

This is how I feel. I have gotten the impression most of the time over the last few months this has happened to me that it's a case of nosiness because of the tone of voice, facial expressions, and wording of those doing the questioning.

Anna, I think you misunderstood my original post. I am not a couponer (hard to be when you buy organics), so there's no method anyone could be interested in learning from me.

Post subject: Re: I dont know, tkd....
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:11 pm 

tkdmom wrote:
Donna/NM wrote:
I prep.

This is how I feel. I have gotten the impression most of the time over the last few months this has happened to me that it's a case of nosiness because of the tone of voice, facial expressions, and wording of those doing the questioning.

Anna, I think you misunderstood my original post. I am not a couponer (hard to be when you buy organics), so there's no method anyone could be interested in learning from me.

Yup, - I misunderstood for sure! Sorry :oops:

I used to buy from this co-op. http://www.somethingbetternaturalfoods.com/

If you like organics in large quantities at good prices and want to be discreet - they might be a good way to go. I was always pleased with them and their service & quality. They're a Seventh-Day Adventist group.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:00 pm 

I always get comments on how much food I buy. It's rude and annoying. Apparently we're the only family that actually eats. At least, you'd think that by the looks and comments I get. It's not small talk, it's rude.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:13 pm 

We're amongst the only families that actually eat every night, at home. That's why it looks a lot to restaurant-goers.

And, if you don't shop often, that makes your cart even fuller.

I tend to be oblivious, but I've never noticed any looks or comments - even when my cart overflows (well, except that one time I had the one with the car on the front, and had to balance the watermelon on the little car : )

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:59 pm 

I'm LOL here. Because I think I have the most kids here and yet... I rarely get asked.
In fact, during the case lot sale here in NM, I always fill the entire cart with cases or cans and have never heard a single comment!
Now, in KY, when I would buy 10 pkg of tortillas, I did get the cashier to look at me funny. I explained I was making burritos to freeze for lunches, she said that was a great idea!
I guess it would all depend on how the question was asked. Other wise I guess I'm always so befuddled when shopping I get left alone.