It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:07 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: A silly little thing that shouldn't please me so much!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:12 pm 

I've been on a bulk cooking jag.

The books & websites all recommend using gallon zipper freezer bags to store stuff, but I don't really like that option because 1) they occasionally leak, 2) they slip and slide and fall out of the freezer on my foot, and get all jumbled up and disorganized as you move inventory around- and then they tear 3) they hide and can be hard to identify. 4) they're wasteful

But, other containers sometimes aren't very efficient. Big, bulky, odd shapes & sizes.

Last weekend, at Deals, I found containers (surefresh brand) that are nearly a perfect cube. They hold just over 10 cups of food. That's JUST the right amount for nearly every recipe I make. And, it is exactly what my crockpots each hold! What's even better, they are perfectly sized & shaped to make 14 complete entrees fit into my fridge-top freezer! And, I can label the front of each box with freezer tape, so I can see at a glance what I have. They don't slip or slide. They stack perfectly.

Okay, Okay - I need to get a life :roll:

Post subject: The thrill of VICTORY!!!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:07 pm 

Hey, I'd be jumping for joy too!!!

I bought some round containers on Amazon, to freeze tomatoes.
Decided to use them for my chili instead, and I guess I over-filled them, and they all cracked and exploded! I about cried!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Food losses are so painful.

Food VICTORIES are awesome and life sustaining!!!
Never a small event in my book!!!!

Is DEALS, a local store?

Post subject: Re: A silly little thing that shouldn't please me so much!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:12 pm 

So sorry about your Chili-loss : (

My containers have borne their first freeze well - and they are straight sided so that is promising for freezing. I had bought other containers of the same brand before. I am disappointed that they're made in China, but that's really hard to avoid nowadays.

http://www.deals-stores.com/

Deals is a chain - I *thought* they were nation-wide. They are owned by the same people who own Dollar Tree and have similar merchandise - but they also have items that are more than $1. The containers I got were $1 each.

For some odd reason the containers I bought aren't featured on the website.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:14 pm 

That's not silly, sounds pretty awesome to me! Maybe I need to get a life, too, lol! I've never heard of Deals, either!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:26 pm 

Anna, 10 cups seems like a lot to have to thaw for meals.. how do you handle that?
Do you just have leftovers until it's all gone, or do you eat it all for one meal?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:42 pm 

Tory wrote:
Anna, 10 cups seems like a lot to have to thaw for meals.. how do you handle that?
Do you just have leftovers until it's all gone, or do you eat it all for one meal?

:oops: :oops:

I'm not a light eater, Tory! It takes WORK to gain weight as a vegan ;)

Put it down to the fridge the day before (websites say 24 hours - I sometimes forget and give it more like 12)- it still has ice crystals at dinner time sometimes, but those melt pretty quickly in the saucepan. I've been known to microwave them straight out of the freezer when necessary - but that's not my preference.

What we usually do from one container is have dinner for the three of us, then DH's lunch the next day - and volume permitting, school lunches for the two of us, too. Sometimes on Saturday or Sunday we have one additional meal from the entire week's leftovers - buffet style.

I really *prefer* Pb&H for lunch, so if there's none left for my lunch, I'm not heartbroken.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:32 pm 

Ok, I had lentil and bean soup for dinner and I was so full after only one small bowl! I did have brown rice in it, also.
I can't imagine 10 cups of it! LOL! and I LOVE it, just couldn't eat anymore I was so full. ;)
However, I can relate to your school lunch the next day. I used to do that back before my dc began to grow and eat larger dinners.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:06 pm 

After I answered your question, I looked in the freezer and was reminded that I have several frozen lunches from previous meals. Sometimes I grab one for a meal for one (if DH has a meeting at Church, for example), sometimes they're a lunch for the day after we go to a restaurant (and therefore don't have leftovers from that meal).

So, maybe it's a little more complex than I thought at first. I only feel like we have *leftovers* one time per week - because that's when we eat all the little portions that were too small to put to the freezer as lunches & all the things that don't freeze well.

And, your capacity for lentil soup will grow : )

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:59 pm 

Anna, I have NO problem gaining weight eating vegan. : \ It's a gift, and a curse. ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:43 am 

Sis wrote:
Anna, I have NO problem gaining weight eating vegan. : \ It's a gift, and a curse. ;-)

Yeah, I know.

Of course, if I do what I should I lose weight quite easily - but well, Halvah is vegan you know.

And Twizzlers :oops: