It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:17 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Editing my cookbook
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:10 pm 

Many years ago, I had recipes all over the house - and had to go searching when I wanted to use one of them. so, I wrote them all in a little notebook, adding as I found new good ones.

Then, one day, I decided to type it up (I had time on my hands that year!)

It gradually morphed, till I have chapters on each course. Every time I find a new recipe, I add it. And, from time to time, I omit things (like our formerly GF friend no longer needs GF, so I omitted & archived that whole chapter!).

My DH printed it out (rather adorably, with a cover & binding & everything! : ), and so I have a hard copy & a soft copy.

But, I still do updates - when I modify a recipe, when I add new ones, when some fall out of favor.

So, right now, doing my big edit, for a new printing : )

This time, I'm hoping to add month-of-menus plans, and maybe some bulk cooking concepts : )

I always think I don't have a hobby, but I guess this qualifies : )

Post subject: Re: Editing my cookbook
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:35 pm 

I've been wanting to do this with my mom recipes! I've talked about it for years and just never did it.
I was thinking it'd make a nice gift to give to the ladies in the family, who are always calling me or mom to ask "how do you make this?"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:29 pm 

For a family cookbook I would definitely put in anecdotes about where the recipe came from or some time it was used. I have one of these started, also. :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:26 pm 

I think it would make a great gift, Tory!

I like your idea about memories, Sis : )

It's nice to know that a couple of our boys are already cooking my lentil soup for *their* kids! Unbelievable. And, more remarkable, they all love it! : )

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:04 pm 

(warning not vegan!) ;)

My ds's know how to cook their grandma's pot roast. It's one of their favorites to cook AND eat, lol! We've had several family members from the other side of the family ask for the recipe, so I know this one is popular.
Also.. they are wanting to learn how to make their aunts meatloaf.. because I don't make it very often because I don't like meatloaf...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:32 am 

I don't like meatloaf either! :lol:

Love that vegan warning!

I actually have my Mom's pork chops & sauerkraut recipe in my collection. Despite being vegan, I have a whole chapter on meat, dairy & eggs (but not one chapter on each kind of meat!)

I make a variety of meat roasts (including pot roast) in the crock-pot- that way I have as little contact with them as possible : ) I start them frozen - they're not all drippy that way ; )

But, haven't made any meat dishes in a couple of months now : )

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:31 pm 

Just curious, what kind of printing do you do? Would you be interested in making your family cookbook available for sale? You can find places like createspace (a subsidiary of amazon, accessible if you click on the Amazon ads on the forum pages and scroll to the bottom of the screen) that allows for "print on demand" services where you can upload a book and then folks can buy it and it is quite reasonable. (or you can upload it there and buy copies for yourself and/or friends and family)

To put this in perspective, I have a book that is 132 pages (black and white interior, full color cover, 8.5 x 5.5 size) and it runs about $4 per copy (which includes printing and shipping to me) or I can make it available for sale on Amazon and Createspace for whatever I want (that's at least as much as the cost) and I get the difference in royalties. You can order a proof copy or two and evaluate it before you make it available to your friends/family/etc.

(I am currently reviewing my second proof of a book from Createspace and think it will be available soon - I am fastidiously attempting to avoid turning this into a plug for anything, but you should click on the Amazon link at the top of this page to research createspace)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:30 am 

Thanks for a neat idea, Scott.

Who knows? Maybe I COULD make a few for friends.

So far it's always been just a working document for my own use. I did make an abridged virtual version (in Word) for my sister a while back.

I like to make-believe about authoring a *real* cookbook (the way little kids make-believe about being a fireman or a princess :D )

But then, I think, does the world really NEED one more REALLY GREAT, mostly-vegan, batch cooking, mix-making, frugal cookbook? :lol:

It is fun to imagine, tho :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:09 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
I like to make-believe about authoring a *real* cookbook (the way little kids make-believe about being a fireman or a princess :D )

But then, I think, does the world really NEED one more REALLY GREAT, mostly-vegan, batch cooking, mix-making, frugal cookbook? :lol:

It is fun to imagine, tho :)

My thought is that I write because I think I have something worthwhile to say. I write because it gives my kids the idea that they too can write someday, and I write because even if I never make a dime off my writing (you have to reach a certain royalty threshold before Amazon or any of the others send you any money so that they don't have to be making deposits of 35 cents or sending checks for a dollar to every wannabe author out there), I have already been told by many folks that they like what I am writing and can't wait to read more. That keeps me going, and I will keep writing as long as folks want to keep reading.

My advice? Write your cookbook. Be careful how much you copy directly from any other cookbooks (that could cause issues with copyright). When you are done, choose whether to make it available to the world or whether to just send some copies to your friends and family. It will give you something to do, maybe something to hand out to family and friends, and maybe even a little extra income on the side. Let your imagination run wild.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:14 pm 

Not a bad idea, Scott.

It is all written - has been for years - I just edit/update from time-to-time. I have little that is copied from other sources verbatim, since I nearly always adjust something to my taste (lower the oil, omit some cayenne, etc).

Thanks for the encouragement : )