It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:03 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Puzzles
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:17 pm 

I've found a love of putting puzzles together. It's strange because I never could stand to sit and do that before.
It started when my mom gave me a wonderful 1000 piece puzzle for Christmas 2 years ago. I never put it together (because I couldn't stand to do them, lol)
However, one day I was looking at it and just loved the picture.
SO I decided to give it a try.
I finished that one even though it took a while. Then I moved onto a wonderful one of only hot air balloons. Once I finished that one I started working one with a mountian scene.
This one is a real challenge and I work on it just whenever I feel like it.
I have a place at the dining room table that we never use and my latest puzzle stays there until I finish it.

Post subject: Re: Puzzles
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:37 pm 

I just bo't a puzzle to try. My family is so good at putting them together that I always just stood back and watched as they did the 3D and difficult ones. Now that I'm alone (with dh) I decided to buy a fairly easy one to try myself. : ) The fun remains to be seen.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:52 pm 

I have a few that I got so frustrated with that they went right back into the box, lol!
I'll go back to them one day. Maybe!
My favorite time to work on puzzles is when the house is quiet (ie: when the kids are gone or busy with something else.)
I start with the edge pieces and once those are all together I start filling in the center.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:00 pm 

My dd's name is Dove and I found a puzzle in the SHAPE of a dove that had a collage of pictures inside of it. It took her YEARS to put together and by the time she got it together she was missing two pieces. : \

A girlfriend and I once spent an entire 2 days putting together a puzzle and when we were done there was ONE piece missing! I wrote to the company and asked if there was ANY way we could get that piece replace and they sent us a whole new puzzle!!!!! ====8^O

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:04 pm 

My family has always had a puzzle going. It was one of our favorite things to do at family gatherings with the whole extended family, all of us sitting around talking and working on a big puzzle. Fond memories! I haven't done one in years, but I've wanted to. I just got a few at the thrift store and my mom said she's bringing a bunch with her, so we're going to be busy! Dd is showing signs that she has it in the genes, too. She's always doing puzzles and she even came home with an award from Sunday school for the best puzzle maker, lol!

It's a good hobby. Good for the brain!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:08 pm 

I love doing puzzles as well. Usually every year if we get to take a vacation to the beach we buy a puzzle and work it the whole week together. Sometimes we do them here around the house but things are so hectic and busy that doesn't happen often. My house is so cluttered. I always love getting a beach house because it's so empty. You only have enough clothes for a week and it's easy to keep picked up. Did I say we need to declutter? UGH!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:11 pm 

Oh my! Sure.. send the entire puzzle and we'll put it together AGAIN! :?
My mom was going to buy several puzzles from a garage sale. I told her no way!
She protested that they were only 10 cents or something...
I then had to explain to her that we had no way of knowing if all the pieces were there until AFTER putting the puzzles together! It's so aggravating to put all of that work into it only to have pieces missing.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:14 pm 

I know what you mean. I am giving a puzzle to our local charity and I put it together TWICE (a kids puzzle) to make sure all the pieces were there before taping up the box.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:18 pm 

I definitely won't be putting them together until I know all the pieces are there. That would be so frustrating!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:24 pm 

I guess you could count the pieces before starting. I just never think to do that!
The ones I'm doing now are 1000 pieces and I have one that is 1500 waiting that I haven't gotten up the nerve to try yet.