It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:42 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: This article really touches a raw nerve . . .
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:48 am 

If you'll pardon the pun

https://www.foxnews.com/health/as-opioids-become-taboo-doctors-taper-down-or-abandon-pain-patients-driving-many-to-suicide

The last time my back pain was so bad that I couldn't get off the floor except to crawl to the bathroom, I called my doctor for a prescription. He said he could only give me a prescription if I came into the office. I was physically unable to do that! (even tho he has my MRI results, and knows very well that the problem is legitimate. He also goes to Church with me, so knows I'm not a habitual drug-seeker) So, I was left completely untreated. I've since learned that any doctor that prescribes without seeing a patient RIGHT THEN will lose his or her license. So, I go without any treatment for my pain at all.

(I DO believe suicide is a sin - so no worries about that :( )

But, I certainly understand where these folks are coming from - if there pain is as bad as mine on my worst days - ALL THE TIME - and they are now being refused care - I can see where they might despair.

As one lady wrote in here:

“People with pain shouldn’t have to suffer because people without pain are abusing opioids,”

Post subject: Re: This article really touches a raw nerve . . .
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:51 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
If you'll pardon the pun

https://www.foxnews.com/health/as-opioids-become-taboo-doctors-taper-down-or-abandon-pain-patients-driving-many-to-suicide

The last time my back pain was so bad that I couldn't get off the floor except to crawl to the bathroom, I called my doctor for a prescription. He said he could only give me a prescription if I came into the office. I was physically unable to do that! (even tho he has my MRI results, and knows very well that the problem is legitimate. He also goes to Church with me, so knows I'm not a habitual drug-seeker) So, I was left completely untreated. I've since learned that any doctor that prescribes without seeing a patient RIGHT THEN will lose his or her license. So, I go without any treatment for my pain at all.

(I DO believe suicide is a sin - so no worries about that :( )

But, I certainly understand where these folks are coming from - if there pain is as bad as mine on my worst days - ALL THE TIME - and they are now being refused care - I can see where they might despair.

As one lady wrote in here:

“People with pain shouldn’t have to suffer because people without pain are abusing opioids,”

Yes, we are experiencing the same type of thing. It needs to be on a case by case basis. When my mom was physically unable to go in we were just "out of luck". The next option was to call an ambulance. :evil: They are at risk of losing their license if they go against that law. A good friend of ours is a pharmacist and bends over backwards to help dh but even he won't go that far.

Another friend has had back pain from an injury for most of his adult life but reinjured it on a job site several years back. He is now on disability and the insurance that covers on-the-job injuries has so much red tape and hoops to jump thru - they won't pay for the surgery that is most likely to help him, and they keep going back and forth on the pain meds. He has them right now but is anxious about them taking them away again so he takes a smaller amount just to make it bearable. Our health care "system" IS A MESS! I don't think socialized medicine would improve it but something really has to give. And doctors should be able to TREAT their patients!

My dh (and my kids) have some kind of condition that basically eats up most meds. They have to have very specific meds and at rather high doses for it to do what it takes 1/3-1/2 for other people to feel the same. :( The ones that knock most people out make him energetic.

Let's say nobody can eat because so many abuse food! :evil:

Post subject: Re: This article really touches a raw nerve . . .
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:47 pm 

"Let's say nobody can eat because so many abuse food!"

Well said, Sis.

Yes- different folks' bodies metabolize drugs differently - and the doc should be able to make a professional decision about what a patient needs without losing his license.

One article in this series said a doc who treated pain put 80% of his patients on medical Marijuana, and that worked for some of them. I HATE to see folks being forced to take MJ - even tho I think that might be what God created it for. I'd rather see folks have CHOICES about what works best for them.

I've never even TRIED MJ - and I'd feel HORRIBLE going into some store to buy the stuff - even if it was called for medically.