It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:23 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Are all walkouts created equal?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:43 pm 

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2018/03/20/student-planning-abortion-protest/

So, last week's protests were ALL the students' idea -administrators can't stop free speech and all. Including the preposterous walkout of kindergartners - as if they have their OWN political ideas.

What do you want to be that THIS one won't be seen as "we can't stop free speech?"

Post subject: Re: Are all walkouts created equal?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:12 pm 

Really? Kinders walked out? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

No, of course all walkouts are not created equal. I was in a walk out in jr hi. We walked out of class and sat in the "quad" where the seniors ate lunch. I don't remember what we were protesting but it was fun and exciting and we were making a point, right? Until they turned the sprinklers on. :lol: We just went back to class.

VERY few students in jr high and down will have any real knowledge or understanding of these things. Most high schoolers probably won't either. I don't have a problem with participating in these walkouts, actually, but if you miss too many classes you should have to pay the consequences. Some causes are worth it, some are not.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:33 am 

What I have a problem with is when the schools and/or teachers *orchestrate* it and pretend it was the kids' idea (as in the case of the kinders, obviously!)

A nationwide walkout on a certain day is not the kind of thing that kids are able to plan/orchestrate/manage. There's a REASON we don't let them vote at that age!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:07 am 

Anna1111 wrote:
What I have a problem with is when the schools and/or teachers *orchestrate* it and pretend it was the kids' idea (as in the case of the kinders, obviously!)

A nationwide walkout on a certain day is not the kind of thing that kids are able to plan/orchestrate/manage. There's a REASON we don't let them vote at that age!

Oh, absolutely! It would be more "beneficial" and more "educational" if it was done with the students by politically savvy adults (like history and social studies departments maybe?). I don't know who orchestrated ours but cuz i was nearly as politically savvy then as i am now. :P

I lived in an area with "riots" and there was also the Vietnam War and teacher strikes. Watch Woodlawn and Remember the Titans. That's what it was like when i was going thru jr hi. :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:55 pm 

Oh, but then I'd have to watch TV/a movie! (I really find movies like sitting in time out, most of the time. Just waiting for my time to end :geek: )

DD went to a play without me last night - I couldn't bear the idea of sitting thru it :roll: :oops:

Riots, walk outs, teachers' strikes . . . . Sound like the evening news!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:27 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
Oh, but then I'd have to watch TV/a movie! (I really find movies like sitting in time out, most of the time. Just waiting for my time to end :geek: )

DD went to a play without me last night - I couldn't bear the idea of sitting thru it :roll: :oops:

Riots, walk outs, teachers' strikes . . . . Sound like the evening news!

sigh My bff wouldn't go see Phantom of the Opera with me. So sad. She'll watch a movie but she always falls asleep. LOL

Yep! We were on the evening news a few times but it was seldom "right". They took video or did interviews but the things i saw on the news is not what was happening that *I* saw.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:38 am 

Sis wrote:
Yep! We were on the evening news a few times but it was seldom "right". They took video or did interviews but the things i saw on the news is not what was happening that *I* saw.

Yes, I'm aware of that phenomenon - I don't trust the news as far as I can throw One CNN Center! I was in the middle of a revolution once, and watched the US coverage - it was, um, not accurate.

When my Mom was in college, Life magazine came to her college to do a story on small midwest colleges, and had the kids act out everything that the NY Journalists THOUGHT that kids in those small colleges did for fun - in order to photograph it. And the kids never did the same things before or after. Mom NEVER touched a Life magazine for the rest of her life (pardon the pun)

But, Movies - given the artistic license of fiction - are usually even MORE inaccurate than news. Usually. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:47 am 

Anna1111 wrote:

But, Movies - given the artistic license of fiction - are usually even MORE inaccurate than news. Usually. :roll:

Yes, but that's a given. You shouldn't really EXPECT movies to be accurate unless they're documentaries. I certainly prefer a movie to follow the outline of a book if it's taken from one, tho'.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:02 pm 

The problem is, that although our *minds* know it's fiction, or EMOTIONS tend to fall for the lies of our culture that are in fiction. (You know, where the adulterer is the "good guy" and the guy whose wife he stole is the "bad guy" and that sort of thing)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:51 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
The problem is, that although our *minds* know it's fiction, or EMOTIONS tend to fall for the lies of our culture that are in fiction. (You know, where the adulterer is the "good guy" and the guy whose wife he stole is the "bad guy" and that sort of thing)

I am either blind to that or don't watch those movies! LOL But i find the same is true of the news. Even tho' i KNOW how misleading many of the sensationalized stories are, or even normal news, i will take it in as (almost) fact. One reason i don't bother watching it. :geek: