It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:11 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Corporations ruined food; organic farming rebirth
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:05 pm 

Corporate mega farms vs small organic farms. At the 31 minute mark there is a graph on how we have spent less income on food over the decades but then they superimpose what we have spent on healthcare, it has gone up. Cheap food has made us sick (and fat).

What is a real carrot? The mass produced commercial variety or an organic heirloom one? So glad my dad always had a garden, I know the difference.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=968s&v=5RwIWGkMxrE

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

Post subject: Re: Corporations ruined food; organic farming rebirth
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:28 pm 

Crazy! It's hard to eat well (for me) because it goes bad so fast. The garbage can sit on the shelf for years!! It's a mindset that i have difficulty overcoming. Workin' on it!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:08 pm 

I'm beginning to buy fresh, in less amounts, more often. Or buy fresh that is frozen. This way I am eating more vegetables than ever in my life. I feel better, I am losing weught, and I think I'm healthier.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:40 pm 

Tory wrote:
I'm beginning to buy fresh, in less amounts, more often. Or buy fresh that is frozen. This way I am eating more vegetables than ever in my life. I feel better, I am losing weught, and I think I'm healthier.

I always think i need "a little of everything". That's not working but that's what i always do! It doesn't even matter how small of a bundle i get, i have so many different things i don't get around to it all. :? My fridge is overcrowded and hard to get around in. :evil:

I think i'll make my December "habit challenge" to keep the fridge manageable! My freezer is also full! It's organized, at least. We really don't NEED to shop; we NEED to eat what we have. :roll: Mom wants frozen dinners to encourage herself to eat more but there's no room to put any.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:29 pm 

I have gotten hooked on fermenting fresh vegetables. They are so fresh and crunchy and keep for months in the frig after fermented. Plus have great probiotic benefits. If too salty when done you can rinse some of the salt brine off. I regularly make kraut with carrots and garlic (nothing like bought), plus other veggies as in season or available. Carrots are a favorite as are peppers. I also recently started doing sprouts. I had bought a bag of sprouting seeds some years ago and never tried it but once I did I'm hooked. They only take a few days and they also are so fresh and crunchy. And easy to do in small batches so you can eat it before they go bad!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:27 pm 

coastal Carol wrote:
I have gotten hooked on fermenting fresh vegetables. They are so fresh and crunchy and keep for months in the frig after fermented. Plus have great probiotic benefits. If too salty when done you can rinse some of the salt brine off. I regularly make kraut with carrots and garlic (nothing like bought), plus other veggies as in season or available. Carrots are a favorite as are peppers. I also recently started doing sprouts. I had bought a bag of sprouting seeds some years ago and never tried it but once I did I'm hooked. They only take a few days and they also are so fresh and crunchy. And easy to do in small batches so you can eat it before they go bad!

I've never had the fermented veggies before. Have been reading about them. The idea of them staying good in the fridge for MONTHS is AMAZING!!!!! How do you use them? Just spoon out on your plate as a side?

I need to brush up on sprouting, too. I only did it once. How do you "keep them coming" so you have a little bit all the time?