It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:21 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Hurricanes or fires?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:07 am 

Which is worse?

I know it depends on the size and endurance but it also depends on what you're talking about.

Which is easier to recover from? Which is easier to escape from? Which produces the longest-lasting harm?

Fires can be "fought" and employs a lot of people! But, like hurricanes, they can be unpredictable and turn on a breeze.

This year we may have a good chance to learn which is worse. :cry:

Post subject: Re: Hurricanes or fires?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:21 pm 

Neither one is good - but if I had to pick one, I'd pick the hurricane.

They usually give 2-3 weeks warning before they come, with a little time to evacuate.

I've seen too much of fires surrounding people, jumping highways, changing directions.

To me, hurricanes seem much more predictable.

Typhoons are Hurricanes - I've been thru a bunch of them. Never been *very* close to a fire - tho I could smell one burning last summer - and I'd like to keep it that way!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:28 pm 

Our area still hasn't recovered from the wildfire 6 yrs ago. You can still see the effects. With either disaster, you will have to rebuild, but it seems to me like fires change the landscape for a much longer amount of time, and have more of an impact on the ecology, wildlife, etc. That's just my unexpert opinion. Things dry out, but you can't unburn things.

I think which is easier to escape from, depends on the situation and how far in advance you have to prepare

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:38 pm 

LisaTX wrote:
Our area still hasn't recovered from the wildfire 6 yrs ago. You can still see the effects. With either disaster, you will have to rebuild, but it seems to me like fires change the landscape for a much longer amount of time, and have more of an impact on the ecology, wildlife, etc. That's just my unexpert opinion. Things dry out, but you can't unburn things.

I think which is easier to escape from, depends on the situation and how far in advance you have to prepare

It depends on so much. Water damage can be bad because sewer plants, graves, dead animals (and people! :shock: ), oil and gasoline, garbage, etc, has all made a soup of nasty stuff that people are wading thru. It will also ruin cars and cause mold. Everyone that wades thru the water or touches it, really, is supposed to get a hepatitis shot. But, most buildings WERE saved whereas a fire would have burnt them down.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:58 pm 

I only look at the human risk (assuming both events are the same magnitude) - Humans usually get time to flee a Hurricane, but fires, not so much. The after-effects of both are HORRENDOUS.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:58 pm 

Sis wrote:
LisaTX wrote:

It depends on so much. Water damage can be bad because sewer plants, graves, dead animals (and people! :shock: ), oil and gasoline, garbage, etc, has all made a soup of nasty stuff that people are wading thru. It will also ruin cars and cause mold. Everyone that wades thru the water or touches it, really, is supposed to get a hepatitis shot. But, most buildings WERE saved whereas a fire would have burnt them down.

Yes, after posting this, I read about the people in Houston getting Staph infections from the water, and having to put on masks to go into their moldy homes. Not to mention the alligators! :shock: