It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:03 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Charlottesville
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:05 pm
Posts: 3520
Location: Central TX
Sis wrote:
LisaTX wrote:
Everything is being labeled racist now, because of slavery. They're re-naming schools, too. They're removing the cultural context. Many of the descendants of people who fought in the civil war, are angry at this happening, but everyone just tells them too bad, the south lost the war, they were racists, get over it. They get no say. Eventually,, it will be our American flag, they won't just stop at Robert E. Lee.


Since i have black kids i have watched them as they get into that part of history. I think we do have a blessed situation where people do not seem to see color but i've also heard them talk about how glad they are that people "nowadays" don't treat each other like that.

(Yeah, i know. They will learn that soon enuf.) :?


I've always worried a little about my mixed kids experiencing racism, but for the first time ever, I worry about myself, too. Last year, we had a big Black Lives Matter protest, where 5 of our cops were killed. There were people calling for death to cops and white people. I see racist comments against white people on the internet almost daily now. When I saw that my professor was black and so were most of my classmates, I worried if any of them were a part of that group and thought I was the "devil race". Thankfully, there was no indication of that, but I hate that the media and government have fueled all the race issues. I wish things could go back to being normal.

_________________
Mom to Christian (13), Saphira (10), Xavier (5), and Adrian (2).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Charlottesville
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:22 pm
Posts: 7803
LisaTX wrote:
Sis wrote:
LisaTX wrote:
Everything is being labeled racist now, because of slavery. They're re-naming schools, too. They're removing the cultural context. Many of the descendants of people who fought in the civil war, are angry at this happening, but everyone just tells them too bad, the south lost the war, they were racists, get over it. They get no say. Eventually,, it will be our American flag, they won't just stop at Robert E. Lee.


Since i have black kids i have watched them as they get into that part of history. I think we do have a blessed situation where people do not seem to see color but i've also heard them talk about how glad they are that people "nowadays" don't treat each other like that.

(Yeah, i know. They will learn that soon enuf.) :?


I've always worried a little about my mixed kids experiencing racism, but for the first time ever, I worry about myself, too. Last year, we had a big Black Lives Matter protest, where 5 of our cops were killed. There were people calling for death to cops and white people. I see racist comments against white people on the internet almost daily now. When I saw that my professor was black and so were most of my classmates, I worried if any of them were a part of that group and thought I was the "devil race". Thankfully, there was no indication of that, but I hate that the media and government have fueled all the race issues. I wish things could go back to being normal.


So true. :? I would say "to bad that don't single out the actual *racists*" but that senseless violence isn't good for anybody.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Charlottesville
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:05 pm
Posts: 3520
Location: Central TX
I don't think the media has made me so angry, since the election. Had to turn off the nightly news again tonight. The president's words were perfect and he really gets it, but the media was vicious, like rabid dogs. I wish they could all have their citizenship revoked and be deported.

_________________
Mom to Christian (13), Saphira (10), Xavier (5), and Adrian (2).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Charlottesville
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:16 pm
Posts: 1921
Location: Sunshine State
Anna1111 wrote:
As they say "Homeschooling: Two Educations for the Price of One!"

We're doing a Civil War unit right now : )


Ahem, The War of Northern Agression ;)

_________________
"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Charlottesville
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:14 pm
Posts: 7069
Indeed, everyone has their perspective on things,huh?

But - don't worry - we're definitely hearing both sides of the story in our research : )

_________________
http://stuffedveggies.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Charlottesville
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:05 pm
Posts: 3520
Location: Central TX
Anna1111 wrote:
Indeed, everyone has their perspective on things,huh?

But - don't worry - we're definitely hearing both sides of the story in our research : )


I'm curious what curriculum or resources you are using for this study?

_________________
Mom to Christian (13), Saphira (10), Xavier (5), and Adrian (2).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Charlottesville
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:22 pm
Posts: 7803
OTOH - what about that terrible little Barron Trump taking a snap of the helicopter?! :o


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Charlottesville
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:14 pm
Posts: 7069
LisaTX wrote:
Anna1111 wrote:
Indeed, everyone has their perspective on things,huh?

But - don't worry - we're definitely hearing both sides of the story in our research : )


I'm curious what curriculum or resources you are using for this study?


Well, it happened rather spontaneously because of our family travel this summer.
We were in Vicksburg,MS - a site of a famous batttlefield. We went to the battlefield and its museum, and several museums in the city, as well as an antebellum home where Jefferson Davis gave a speech once.

DD has read several books on the topic from the "Dear America" and "My America" series.

And, from an Ohio History textbook, the section on the civil war.

And a visit to Lincoln's birthplace.

maybe some other stuff, too, that I'm not thinking of right off.

_________________
http://stuffedveggies.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Charlottesville
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:22 pm
Posts: 7803
Anna1111 wrote:
LisaTX wrote:
Anna1111 wrote:
Indeed, everyone has their perspective on things,huh?

But - don't worry - we're definitely hearing both sides of the story in our research : )


I'm curious what curriculum or resources you are using for this study?


Well, it happened rather spontaneously because of our family travel this summer.
We were in Vicksburg,MS - a site of a famous batttlefield. We went to the battlefield and its museum, and several museums in the city, as well as an antebellum home where Jefferson Davis gave a speech once.

DD has read several books on the topic from the "Dear America" and "My America" series.

And, from an Ohio History textbook, the section on the civil war.

And a visit to Lincoln's birthplace.

maybe some other stuff, too, that I'm not thinking of right off.


Now THAT's the way to learn history! 8-)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Charlottesville
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:22 pm
Posts: 7803
Someone is calling those antipastas - "Vanilla Isis". :lol: I find that rather amusing.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Theme designed by stylerbb.net © 2008
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]