It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:26 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Charlottesville
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:05 pm 

https://www.hermancain.com/the-root-of-charlottesville-self-aggrandizing

Post subject: Re: Charlottesville
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:13 am 

StacyinTN wrote:
https://www.hermancain.com/the-root-of-charlottesville-self-aggrandizing

Maybe i'm just tired but this makes my head spin. :?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:17 am 

If you don't watch the news, now is not the time to start. They have sunk to a new low. All to cover up the real issue and the reason for this protest in the first place. The removal and erasing of our nation's history. It's 1984.

BTW, the man behind the removal of this particular statue, is Wes Bellamy, vice mayor of Charlottesville. A racist, sexist, vile man. His disgusting tweets against women and white people, got him kicked out of his teaching job, and now he's vice mayor and removing our history. Nice.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:38 am 

Also, from what I understand, the "Unite the right" group had a legal permit to be there and protest. There were counter-protestors, but everyone was being peaceful. Then ANTIFA showed up. They are known for starting violence everywhere they show up, and that is when the violence started. The police were ordered to stand down by the mayor, so they did nothing to separate the two groups. They even instigated some of the violence, by forcing the protestors closer to the counter-protestors. I've never understand why there are even counter-protestors. There would have been no violence if they were not there, they had no reason to be there. Their goal was to shut down the free speech of the protestors. And I'm not at all surprised that there was a large group of people there to protest the removal of the nation's history, as well as the sharp rise of racism against white people. It was bound to happen sooner or later. It's a shame some of them went too far with the Nazi stuff, but that was only a small part of the group, though the media lumped them all together.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:35 am 

Good grief. :( Someone at church mentioned a statue or something. I asked them when it was erected and they said it was "back in the day". It seems like a no-brainer to me to leave it alone.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:55 am 

Everything is being labeled racist now, because of slavery. They're re-naming schools, too. They're removing the cultural context. Many of the descendants of people who fought in the civil war, are angry at this happening, but everyone just tells them too bad, the south lost the war, they were racists, get over it. They get no say. Eventually,, it will be our American flag, they won't just stop at Robert E. Lee.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:29 pm 

LisaTX wrote:
Everything is being labeled racist now, because of slavery. They're re-naming schools, too. They're removing the cultural context. Many of the descendants of people who fought in the civil war, are angry at this happening, but everyone just tells them too bad, the south lost the war, they were racists, get over it. They get no say. Eventually,, it will be our American flag, they won't just stop at Robert E. Lee.

Since i have black kids i have watched them as they get into that part of history. I think we do have a blessed situation where people do not seem to see color but i've also heard them talk about how glad they are that people "nowadays" don't treat each other like that.

(Yeah, i know. They will learn that soon enuf.) :?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:41 pm 

Interestingly enuf, slavery is now looked at as a racial thing, but it wasn't back in the day.

One famous Revolutionary war hero, James Armistead Lafayette WAS a slave (he was Black) but then after he was emancipated himself, he became a slave owner
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Armistead_Lafayette

So, Blacks owned slaves, too.

Indians were enslaved

Whites were kept in temporary slavery (indentured servitude).

And, of course, many White people were abolitionist, and many DIED putting an end to slavery. Although not all participants in the Civil War fought because of slavery - it cannot be denied that some had that motivation.

And, many heroes of the Underground Railroad were White.

To try to boil it down to Black v. White shows a deep lack of historical knowledge on the subject.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:10 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
Interestingly enuf, slavery is now looked at as a racial thing, but it wasn't back in the day.

One famous Revolutionary war hero, James Armistead Lafayette WAS a slave (he was Black) but then after he was emancipated himself, he became a slave owner
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Armistead_Lafayette

So, Blacks owned slaves, too.

Indians were enslaved

Whites were kept in temporary slavery (indentured servitude).

And, of course, many White people were abolitionist, and many DIED putting an end to slavery. Although not all participants in the Civil War fought because of slavery - it cannot be denied that some had that motivation.

And, many heroes of the Underground Railroad were White.

To try to boil it down to Black v. White shows a deep lack of historical knowledge on the subject.

ABSOLUTELY! I wish i understood more about it. I do know that a black man was the first slave OWNER in America!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:17 pm 

As they say "Homeschooling: Two Educations for the Price of One!"

We're doing a Civil War unit right now : )