It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:58 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Killing Us Softly - The Pro-euthanasia Ideology/Hospice
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:31 am 

http://freedomoutpost.com/killing-us-softly/
"... we must be wary of those who are too willing to end the lives of the elderly and the ill. If we ever decide that a poor quality of life justifies ending that life, we have taken a step down a slippery slope that places all of us in danger. There is a difference between allowing nature to take its course and actively assisting death. The call for euthanasia surfaces in our society periodically, as it is doing now under the guise of "death with dignity" or assisted suicide. Euthanasia is a concept, it seems to me, that is in direct conflict with a religious and ethical tradition in which the human race is presented with " a blessing and a curse, life and death," and we are instructed '...therefore, to choose life." I believe 'euthanasia' lies outside the commonly held life-centered values of the West and cannot be allowed without incurring great social and personal tragedy. This is not merely an intellectual conundrum. This issue involves actual human beings at risk..."
-- C. Everett Koop, M.D. * *taken from the book KOOP, The Memoirs of America's Family Doctor by C. Everett Koop, M.D., Random House, 1991

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

Post subject: Re: Killing Us Softly - The Pro-euthanasia Ideology/Hospice
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:53 am 

Thanks for a very informative article, Briva!

When my Mom was in her final illness, I checked into hospice. In order to qualify for their care, I had to agree that I would not call an ambulance if Mom needed one. They also said that they would not give her food and water.

The alternative, was for us to pay for all nursing care out of pocket.

So, for the poor, there is forced denial of care through hospice.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:34 pm 

I don't know how hospice works in general but the recent (last year) glimpse i got was that the patient was cared for in-home by family. Hospice came in so many times per week and helped bathe and administer certain meds and monitor how things were going. They relieve the family of SOME of the tasks of caregiving and i have only heard wonderful things about them from my Christian friends whose mothers passed last year. If there is a trend towards euthanizing ... well...

It's difficult. Most of us will put down an animal that is suffering and lingering. We CALL it "humane". But we don't do it to people. *I* realize that people are not animals and we have an eternal soul. But, humanistically speaking, i see where they are coming from. I know my mom questions why she's here. She's so "done" with life some days that i know she just wants to die. She's often in enuf pain that she says she'd shoot herself if she had a gun.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:47 am 

Sis, you made me remember a dear lady at church, the pastor's aunt, who would always say, "I'm tard (in her Texas drawl) I wish Jesus would take me home". She was 96, when in her daughter's home she sat down to watch TV as her daughter fixed lunch. Her daughter called and heard no response, because Jesus had taken her home. I miss Aunt Mary's hugs.

Some of us are blessed to slip quietly like Mary, and my own mom, though she was plagued by a lifetime of spinal and arthritic pain.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:51 pm 

I am new to this 'end of life' thing and very interested. I hope to learn more about the use of hospice and other things related to the end of one's life. They should at least touch on these things in school rather than trigonometry. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:36 pm 

I *highly* recommend "When Is It Right to Die?" by Joni Erickson Tada

https://www.amazon.com/When-Right-Die-E ... 0756786894

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:12 am 

Sis wrote:
I don't know how hospice works in general but the recent (last year) glimpse i got was that the patient was cared for in-home by family. Hospice came in so many times per week and helped bathe and administer certain meds and monitor how things were going. They relieve the family of SOME of the tasks of caregiving and i have only heard wonderful things about them from my Christian friends whose mothers passed last year. If there is a trend towards euthanizing ... well...

It's difficult. Most of us will put down an animal that is suffering and lingering. We CALL it "humane". But we don't do it to people. *I* realize that people are not animals and we have an eternal soul. But, humanistically speaking, i see where they are coming from. I know my mom questions why she's here. She's so "done" with life some days that i know she just wants to die. She's often in enuf pain that she says she'd shoot herself if she had a gun.

My mom has been classified as hospice, but just this past month, she was taken off the hospice list because her health has stablized. All of this while she is in an assisted living center and not at her home or my sister's home. You can be on hospice while in an assisted living center.