It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:32 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Did you KNOW you were homeless?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:46 am 

Senators Feinstein & Portman are working on changing the HUD definition of "homeless" (which currently counts about 200,000 homeless folks who are in families with children - including both adults and children) to the DOE definition of "homeless" (which currently counts over a MILLION - JUST CHILDREN - who are homeless. (source)

This - to me - seems all about manipulating public opinion and tax monies.

Here's the DOE definition. AS it reads the following people can be considered "homeless" a person who lives in a trailer park is homeless. A person who lives with extended family may be homeless. A child who spends part of the week with Mom and part with Dad could now be called "homeless"

(2) The term homeless children and youths' —

(A) means individuals who lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence (within the meaning of section 103(a)(1)); and

(B) includes —

(i) children and youths who are sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason; are living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, or camping grounds due to the lack of alternative adequate accommodations; are living in emergency or transitional shelters; are abandoned in hospitals; or are awaiting foster care placement;

(ii) children and youths who have a primary nighttime residence that is a public or private place not designed for or ordinarily used as a regular sleeping accommodation for human beings (within the meaning of section 103(a)(2)(C));

(iii) children and youths who are living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations, or similar settings; and

(iv) migratory children (as such term is defined in section 1309 of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965) who qualify as homeless for the purposes of this subtitle because the children are living in circumstances described in clauses (i) through (iii).

Post subject: Re: Did you KNOW you were homeless?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:48 am 

Not getting your point here? Do you disagree with THIS or with changing this to something else?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:01 am 

They are trying to change the definition of "homeless" from (presumably) someone who does not have a home TO someone who lives with family or lives in a trailer park. Or, possibly even someone who has a joint custody situation.

By this definition, a Grandma who lives with her family is now "homeless"

I strongly disagree with calling folks who OWN their own mobile home and live in it "homeless"

To me, it's just a way to manipulate emotions by saying "we have over a MILLION homeless in this country!" when it is simply not true. And, of course, to manipulate tax dollars.

People will vote to use tax dollars to "help the homeless" - but when they're not even really homeless, that's dishonest.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:39 am 

This would probably include all the people who rent rooms at other people's houses, too, right? A lot of people do that. This seems ridiculous.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:53 pm 

I don't read it that way. Here's the part about trailer parks: "...are living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, or camping grounds due to the lack of alternative adequate accommodations". It's not saying if you live there by CHOICE.

IMO, the part about kids in parental custody moving around - if there is more than one child involved (and maybe if there IS only one child involved), the CHILD/REN should "get the house" and the adults should have to move in and out every other week!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:06 pm 

Well, I don't know anyone who lives in a trailer park because they were offered a mansion and turned it down ;)

Most folks live in whatever house they do because something better wasn't available to them (with the exception of folks like St. Francis & St. Teresa of Calcutta)

But, a lot of people in trailer parks - or living with extended family would - and should - feel insulted to be called "homeless." (remember, they can also take your kids from you if you're "homeless!")

I have some family members who are decent, hard working people and live in a trailer park with their kids. It doesn't seem right to me to imply that they aren't providing properly for their children because they live in more humble circumstances than some others.

As for who "gets the house" - wouldn't it be best if we could all just get along? :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:15 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
Well, I don't know anyone who lives in a trailer park because they were offered a mansion and turned it down ;)

Most folks live in whatever house they do because something better wasn't available to them (with the exception of folks like St. Francis & St. Teresa of Calcutta)

But, a lot of people in trailer parks - or living with extended family would - and should - feel insulted to be called "homeless." (remember, they can also take your kids from you if you're "homeless!")

I have some family members who are decent, hard working people and live in a trailer park with their kids. It doesn't seem right to me to imply that they aren't providing properly for their children because they live in more humble circumstances than some others.

As for who "gets the house" - wouldn't it be best if we could all just get along? :)

I can see how it could be ABUSED in a negative way if someone wanted to do it. I believe the INTENTION is to ALLOW people living with others - like my kids - to be declared homeless for benefits even tho' they are living somewhere. They were not living here because they WANTED to but because they were "in transition" and could not afford to live somewhere else. Dd is still struggling, actually, but she would sure rather not live here if she doesn't HAVE to! :mrgreen:

To be sure, it's that mentality of deserving to have your own place even if you aren't working.

And YES, it would be best if we could ALL just get along - one big commune!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:03 pm 

Oh - I have NO argument with giving people BENEFITS who are living with extended family in transition (bt,dt in our family, too!). But I DO have a problem with redefining words till the language has no meaning.

Why can't they just SAY that people who are not homeless but are in the following situations can receive housing benefits?

And . . . I'm no communist! I think FAMILIES should all get along. (I've seen the village . . . .; )