It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:20 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: The eclipse on Sept 28.....
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:56 am 

http://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/luna ... ptember-28

I have this website that lists the times of the eclipse and such but it says:
Event UTC Time Time in Moscow* Visible in Moscow

with the times under each. Now, this may seem dumb but, I live 20 minutes from Moscow.... Moscow, IDAHO. Does this say Moscow because my puter knows where I am, or does it mean MosCOW, as in Russia? One of my pet peeves is websites and articles that don't use city and state (or COUNTRY) and that don't put a date with their stuff. :evil:

(We say "Mos-coh" rather than "Mos-COW".) :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: The eclipse on Sept 28.....
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:44 am 

The AP Style Manual (which is the official guide for many publications) has a list of cities that can be named without State or Country and people should still know where they are. If it's on the list, you can name it alone. If it's not - you can't : )

"Paris" means Paris, France. If you mean Paris, Kentucky - you have to add the "Kentucky."

SOOOO - if they're following the Style Manual - they should mean the place in Russia.

Of course, nowadays with your computer literally being able to see what you're having for breakfast (if you don't cover up the little lens, anyway) - well, your question is a good one!

BTW - Russians have COW if they hear someone say "Mos- COW"! It is very incorrect. Pardon the pun :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:58 am 

Anna1111 wrote:
The AP Style Manual (which is the official guide for many publications) has a list of cities that can be named without State or Country and people should still know where they are. If it's on the list, you can name it alone. If it's not - you can't : )

"Paris" means Paris, France. If you mean Paris, Kentucky - you have to add the "Kentucky."

SOOOO - if they're following the Style Manual - they should mean the place in Russia.

Of course, nowadays with your computer literally being able to see what you're having for breakfast (if you don't cover up the little lens, anyway) - well, your question is a good one!

BTW - Russians have COW if they hear someone say "Mos- COW"! It is very incorrect. Pardon the pun :mrgreen:

Well, you learn new things everyday, eh? I have ALWAYS heard the Moscow in Russia pronounced as "cow". But then, I grew up saying "Haley's comet" instead of Halley's comet, too. Now... the Style Manual? Must go check it out... but I will say I disagree. That leaves too much room for misinterpretation. That's probably how SWAT gets into places it shouldn't! ;)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:30 pm 

Yeah... that's a pet peeve of mine, also. They don't use the name of the state or country even for missing children! Just the name of the city or the county.

Now, how are we supposed to know WHICH Springfield a child is missing from?? Do you know how many Springfield's there in America? < this is me shouting at the computer... :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:40 am 

Tory wrote:
Yeah... that's a pet peeve of mine, also. They don't use the name of the state or country even for missing children! Just the name of the city or the county.

Now, how are we supposed to know WHICH Springfield a child is missing from?? Do you know how many Springfield's there in America? < this is me shouting at the computer... :lol:

Exactly! I realize that many people will recognize a specific name as being from a specific place - say Dallas. Dallas is in TX, right? But a name almost as well known is Harvard. If it says "Harvard", around here, WE are going to think of the small town in Idaho about 10 miles from us. It doesn't matter what's the BIGGEST or most famous, it matters what your culture is - what YOU hear most often. And, of course, Washington is a biggie. :evil: Washington is a STATE. Say D.C. if you mean "the District"..

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:13 pm 

Here's the list of US cities.

http://www.ghnewsroom.com/article/20110 ... /307159967

IT seems, Sis, that the AP is responsible for your Washington problem. But, you know, if it's a NICE story - it's obviously from the STATE! ; )

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:23 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:

IT seems, Sis, that the AP is responsible for your Washington problem. But, you know, if it's a NICE story - it's obviously from the STATE! ; )

Humph!!! How would YOU like to be confused with The District?! :evil:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:36 pm 

I remember distinctly the first time someone thought I meant Washington DC when I said it was from "Washington." I'd never had to specify before. We were on the vacation where we drove around a bit of the western half of the USA and we were in St. Louis, Missouri at a restaurant for dinner. We were asked where we were from and I said, "Washington." She said "D.C.?" and before that I'd never considered that someone might think I meant that if I said just Washington. Ever since then, i usually just say/write "Washington state" if it could be Washington D.C. I don't know why I remember that, it's not that fabulous of a memory, but I do. I was 13.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:51 pm 

Sis wrote:
Anna1111 wrote:

Humph!!! How would YOU like to be confused with The District?! :evil:

Have to admit . . . I'd be pretty insulted!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:52 pm 

Darla wrote:
I remember distinctly the first time someone thought I meant Washington DC when I said it was from "Washington." I'd never had to specify before. We were on the vacation where we drove around a bit of the western half of the USA and we were in St. Louis, Missouri at a restaurant for dinner. We were asked where we were from and I said, "Washington." She said "D.C.?" and before that I'd never considered that someone might think I meant that if I said just Washington. Ever since then, i usually just say/write "Washington state" if it could be Washington D.C. I don't know why I remember that, it's not that fabulous of a memory, but I do. I was 13.

Wow - Darla - I never realized you were actually *from* Washington.

Here in the eastern part of the country, the default is definitely D.C.

I *always* specify "state" when saying where my family live.