It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:00 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Have you ever been on the agenda/city council?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:03 am 

We got to speak up about the KNOX KEY BOX, educating all those present. It was a city council budget workshop so all the city dept heads were there. All except the Fire Chief. The head of the Public Works dept gave my dh a thumbs up after he spoke. We have another city ally. Tonight we meet with invited city officials (dont know if they will show up or not) and all the downtown area business and property owners. We are trying to unite so we can fight against city hall as a unified front. Tired of being ignored as the city is growing westward with big box stores, well, medium box stores, he, he.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

Post subject: Re: Have you ever been on the agenda/city council?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:41 am 

I have fought city hall in Searcy, Arkansas (and we won big). There is one tax in Arkansas that can be imposed on the citizens by a simple majority vote of the city council. Back in 2009 our city council chose to impose that tax. We used the referendum petition process outlined in state law to force an election on the issue (the city ignored our petition for six months and collected the tax anyway until a judge ruled that they couldn't - I actually had to sue the city in which I live - Biddle vs Searcy). We finally got the election and the city and their big business buddies outspent us 10-1 on the election and we still beat them.

My best piece of advice: research your state's Freedom of Information laws and make use of them. Get all the emails the political bad guys have sent and received and sift through them for useful (and humorous) nuggets of information that the public needs to hear. My favorite nugget from our thing (not useful in our fight, but made me smile) was an email from the mayor to the city attorney telling him that the mayor and two aldermen were sitting around their hotel room at a municipal league convention debating and discussing what to do about little old me.