It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:23 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Homeless man who got boots
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:15 pm 

from the policman, the rest of the story. Something to think about when helping the homeless.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/nyp ... 58145.html

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

Post subject: Re: Homeless man who got boots
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:23 am 

I think that for those who will work jobs and temporary housing until they can save enough for housing is what is really needed.
When people don't have income it's really easy to become homeless.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:52 pm 

He has a place to go. He chooses to live on the streets.

There are many things we should educate ourselves about the poor and homeless. It's sweet sometimes to buy the kids of a poor family something fun or sweet (ice cream or something) but it's a bigger help to pay an electricity bill or a more energy efficient form of heating. (Those awful baseboard heaters should be banned.)vv :x

Food baskets once a month instead of a feast basket for the holidays. Blankets. I'd say money but a lot of times the reason a family is so broke is because someone in the family doesn't handle money well.

Now we've learned that brand new shoes for the homeless is a bad idea. I wonder what would be truly helpful to them.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:03 pm 

I wouldn't judge all homeless people by this one man.

Many homeless people survive by begging (it's just politically incorrect to *call* them beggars) - if they are shoeless, they get more money, so they can eat.

I had some friends years ago who bought a wheelchair for legless beggar in the third world. In no time, the wheelchair had disappeared again. A beggar in a wheelchair gets less sympathy, and therefore less money.

I'm not sure that we wouldn't all make this sort of decision if it was a matter of having shoes or a wheelchair & having food to eat.

And, many homeless have mental illness. I'm guessing that's the case with this man, and hence his irrational responses.

I am reminded of the story of a Saint who was giving alms on the streetcorner. One man kept getting back in line, over and over - and the Saint kept giving him more money! One of the Saint's companions said "Don't you realize this man is taking advantage of your kindness?" The Saint replied, "I am responsible to God to give alms, he is responsible to God for how he uses it" - I think that is a good perspective to take.