It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 3:04 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Black Thursday?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:22 pm 

As if Black Friday isn't evil enough, we saw on the news that Black Friday deals will be starting on Thursday night now at some stores. So while some families are sitting down to a Thanksgiving dinner with their families, thanking God for their blessings, others will be out behaving as greedy heathens. This, along with the other stories on here about not being able to homeschool and forced abortions, makes me feel like an alien that just arrived on a foreign nightmarish planet.

Post subject: Re: Black Thursday?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:28 pm 

Lol, dh just sent me this http://gettingoutofamerica.com/ coming from a family that did leave their native land because it became 'foreign' and then dangerous I can totally understand that this is for reals.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:32 pm 

We're sojourners here - our real home is Heaven.

It does make me sad that those who want to enjoy the holiday with family & Thank God for their blessings are instead forced to work retail : (

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:12 pm 

I have a good friend who works at WalMart. Her in-laws live 100 miles away. Her husband and daughter will be going to his parent's for Thanksgiving. I have invited my friend to my house for dessert and table games after 4 p.m. when she gets off work. I think this is disgusting. And this leaves the husband to make a choice of staying home and not seeing his wife, and keeping the daughter at home, or taking the daughter to see her grandparents. I despise WalMart anyway, but this certainly adds to it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:16 pm 

You know, I never minded working on Thanksgiving when it was *necessary.*

And, I really don't mind restaurants opening & serving a Thanksgiving meal, because it provides a respite for families who cannot cook, or who have emotional trauma and need to get out.

But starting the sales on the Holiday itself seems to me pure, unbridled greed.

And don't even start me on the movie houses that have showings on Thanksgiving and Christmas day! GRRR.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:42 pm 

All your posts make me stop and think about my take on them, and where others might be coming from.

I know some people that appreciate movie theaters being open on holidays. Due to grief, hardships, families far away, a movie can be a nice distraction from an other wise stressful day/time of year. I also know of some who going to a movie is as much a part of their tradition as a tree, favorite songs, or exchanging gifts.

I personally have never gone to a movie on any holiday, but if I wanted to have a safe place to retreat to, it could be a choice I'd make.

I also have to ponder that for some, having the opportunity to work is considered a blessing not a hardship on these days. Not everyone celebrates Christmas for either the birth of Christ or for Santa... Who gets to determine what is better for the other? I know my own personal beliefs on this, but...

And re: Black Thursday and/or Black Friday - EGADS!!! I do not like to shop in the first place and the thought of being out on these days amongst the crowds, the crazies in their midst. No thanks, I'll stay home. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:29 pm 

I know some people actually like to work on holidays. My main problem with Black Friday is that the way they do the sales seems to encourage greed, envy, discontentment, anger, stress, and violence. It makes me sick that people sit down one night and thank God for what they have (at least they should), and the next day, go out and fight people and trample emloyees literally to death to get a good deal on the latest gadget. It's bad enough this happens the day after Thanksgiving, but it's so sad to think of it the day of Thanksgiving. Not that everyone behaves that way, but it really brings out the worst in people.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:53 pm 

Lisa, I've never understood the need for any participation for Black Friday. I know the stores are hoping for high sales but really, couldn't they just have sales on things, and when they run out, they run out. Spread the love over a period of time, rather than in such a small time frame that people get frenzied up over it. I guess for some this is kind of their adrenaline rush or something. Their extreme sport so to speak.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:23 am 

Stores know that people buy things they shouldn't when a "the offer ends in five minutes and they'll be all gone!" mentality is present.

My Mom did a lot of sales (not retail) when I was growing up to support the family, and I became very aware of sales tactics.

I've even caught myself thinking this way at the thrift store half off day! :shock: I really have to identify it in myself and stop it. :roll: (I usually don't go to that sale now!) But much of the public is only dimly aware of this tactic, so they don't know to fight against it.

It also appeals to a gambler mentality. We all know that the stores are the one who make the profit - not us- but when we see a great sale, we think we will be THE ones who will JUST buy the loss-leader and walk away. But, the stores know that we're really bad at doing that - and that's how they make a profit.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:23 pm 

Anna, we pull apart commercials all the time identifying the marketing strategies and who they are marketing hardest, through which ploy of emotion or ______.

You know you save money when you buy 2, get one free. Too bad we didn't want or need the first two, let alone the free one. ;) LOL.