It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:10 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Re: Black Thursday?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:31 pm 

Yeah- you know a few years ago, a common banana price was 25cents/pound. But the retailers told me they sold more when they priced them at 4#/dollar!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:36 pm 

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/16/wa ... ob-action/

Apparently some Wal-Mart stores are facing holiday walk outs because of the Thursday scheduling.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:42 am 

I only wish. I know Lorraine will not walk out of her job, but I feel sorry that she has to miss the time with her husband's family.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:07 am 

While I understand the sentiments involved I think there's a broader outlook. Thanksgiving is just another day. It's not a day to be revered. I don't think we should get so hung up on "the day" when it's an arbitrarily assigned "day" of thanksgiving. Do what works for your family. I know at least one of my kids will be working on Thanksgiving Day. Prison guards and nurses/doctors and many others will be working on those days. There are MANY that don't have family or celebrate Thanksgiving that are thankful for having somewhere to go and something to do on a day devoted to family.

Mostly, we can work around work schedules. You can have dinner at any time... or any DAY that suits your family.

So, I don't think the issue is about having to work on Thanksgiving Day or black friday. The issue is ... what? Forced labor? Greed? Convenience? I'm thankful for those that are WILLING to work on those days. I don't even know if we'll be celebrating Thanksgiving this year. If not, we'll probably be some of those people that go to town looking for somewhere open to wander around and maybe get a mocha or something. (We don't do Christmas either so we won't be looking for the sales.)

Just my tho'ts this morning. :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:47 pm 

I don't see man made holidays as sacred. Also, when you add more family, you add more commitments, and shifting days/times...so celebration and remembrancebecomes more fluid. I have two family members that work at our local Wal*mart. One works this Thanksgiving, the other has the day off. Both will have Christmas off, but my SIL doesn't care, as he is a Messianic Jew and celebrated Hanukkah. My dd works an over night shift at a local hotel here, so has the day off, but not the night of Thanksgiving. She will sleep in, go to dh's family dinner, visit us in the later afternoon and then go home and get ready for work. All my kids are so thankful for the jobs they have (dd and sil have had a lot of financial difficulty due to insufficient work this past year and now both have different jobs) that they don't see it as a sacrifice.

Do we get stuck on focusing on given days for thankfulness, celebration of certain events? Most of us do. If we carried that kind of focus into daily thankfulness, daily celebration/recognition, we might never feel like we have sacrificed anything, no matter the time and day we work. If we are living "unto the Lord" in all we do, then we are lving more fully every day. I'm still working on that!

Then all of this can lead into more debate on what days should there be no businesses open, what days should be held in higher esteem. Depending on our beliefs (not necessarily our relationship with the Lord) we will still have disagreements. Is the Sabbath Saturday or Sunday? Is Christ's birth in December or a different month and if so, is it good/better/best to celebrate Christmas/Easter (or Ressurection Sunday)/Hanukkah/any other religious based holiday on the days we recognize or should be shift dates, or celebrate at all? Are the U.S. dates of holidays really of great importance? Other countries don't think so, and we usually don't follow that of other countries, yet there is strong feelings in many for such types of holidays. Is there a right and wrong on any of this, or is it personal preference. What has God commanded? What about those who do not have a relationship with God? Do we determine for them what and when they celebrate or don't? Where is our part in any of this?

We do celebrate Christms, we talk about Advent, we gather for Easter and Thanksgiving with whomever is around, we take pause for Memorial Day and enjoy the extra day off when it happens for Labor Day, my kids enjoy Mother's and Father's days, we love birthdays. I personally have had inner struggle with many religious holidays over the years. I love that my kids want to recognize their parents, but I love more when we honor each other on a daily basis. Birthdays, well, I'm thankful for waking up each day, so the date of my birth is of less importance to me. I guess each season can bring about different thoughts and emotions on such things. I'll just keep talking to my Lord and God and do what He brings to my heart and mind to do.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:40 pm 

Coming from my perspective, I have never really liked the Thanksgiving holiday. My father had the exceptional bad manners to die on Tuesday of Thanksgiving week - and that put a grey cloud over the day for us. Add to that that I enjoy neither Turkey nor football, and am not a huge fan of pumpkin pie, well - you get the picture.

But, I do believe that workers should be given the *freedom* to celebrate the Religious observances of their choice. And, Thanksgiving is a religious holiday (manmade, I agree, but that's not an issue for every observer) for about 90% of Americans - if not more. So, to compel workers to come in for a day of work or else lose their job - when it's not necessary (as it is for say, Nurses or Firefighters) - disturbs me.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:05 pm 

Just saw on the news last night that people are already camping out in front of stores for Black Friday and they're doing thanksgiving in line. So sad, but if those are the holiday memories they choose to have...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:17 pm 

I can go either way in the "argument". If my family had a tradition of ALL getting together and this was the one time of the year that people came from all over the place to gather together then they should have that opportunity and it's much easier to do that on an established holiday than picking another date for everyone to get time off and kids out of school, etc.

OTOH, I don't think we can whine about not having enough hours, or a job at all, and then whine about not getting a specific day off. Isn't that an entitlement/rights thing?

It was extremely frustrating to me when the girls that I hired were told straight out that their first year would include holiday weeks (but not the actual holiday) and then, when the weeks came they refused to work! They only agreed to work them because they wanted to get hired!!! That wasn't fair because SOMEone had to take their place. Someone that had worked there long enough to schedule that time off if they wanted.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:57 pm 

OTOH, I don't think we can whine about not having enough hours, or a job at all, and then whine about not getting a specific day off. Isn't that an entitlement/rights thing?

I don't know how you mean "entitlements/rights" - do you mean that's a *bad* thing?

I personally think Freedom of Religion covers the right to a day of Worship (be it Friday, Saturday, or Sunday), when that work is not a life-and-death necessity (Obviously, the trauma surgeon might need to work now and then). And, I think it covers Religious Holidays, too. In workplaces that MUST stay open, they should at least offer some sort of rotating schedule when that is possible.

Court precedent is very split on the matter in the US, but I think a Freedom of Religion isn't really freedom if it means you're free to starve because no one will hire you. To me it is the ultimate discrimination to say "All our employees must work Yom Kippur" (for instance) when you're hiring - you pretty much know who WON'T be working for you that way.