It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:33 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Re: Thought provoking: cancel short term missions?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:12 am 

Wow. I have to say that I am stunned. I can try really hard to see the point that is being made about how money could better be spent but short term missions is very important to those going. My heart is so tender for short term missions because of the changes that I have seen in both of my daughter's lives.

We can serve here in America and should. I totally understand those points and support them but the plain fact is that we here in America are so spoiled and rich. Even our poorest are richer than those in third world countries. I just think that we need to remember that Jesus left the 99 to go after the 1 and sometimes the short term trips are more about those going than those they are going to serve.

I know with my Sky who is 16 now, she has battled rebellion and unbelief most of her teen years. She was bitter because she felt we brainwashed her and that she never had a chance to come to Christ on her own because she was raised in church and had in essence become immune to the church.

It took months of prayer and fasting. I had to let go and trust that the Lord could reach her and that there would be nothing of my doing to reach her short of my prayers.

When she came to me and said she felt called on a missions trip for 2 solid months in Ethiopia and Uganda I was stunned. I was thrilled because I knew the Lord was tendering her heart BUT I wasn't as thrilled about the 2 months and the amount of $ it would take to send her. I said yes immediately because I would have never done anything to have hindered her growth with or call from the Lord. Secretly inside though I never really thought the $ would come in such a short amount of time and I figured she'd only be gone a couple of weeks instead.

God had other plans. The $ came quickly and she is now in Uganda.

Her first month in Ethiopia they hiked 4 hours into the jungle and pitched tents with mosquito nets. It was their rainy season and it rained and rained and rained. Finally-they had to move them to shelter. Not a building with closed in walls and doors but a roof to try and keep them dry. She was miserable physically but spiritually growing leaps and bounds.

Uganda has been so much better as far as elements go. I have only heard her voice twice since she left. I have 11 more days before she returns. Her dad spoke with her on Friday and she shared a small tid bit with him. She said that everyone kept telling her that she would be changed but she didn't believe them. Now, she is changed and cannot believe how much she has changed. She said, "Dad, I'm trying to save everything for when I come home. I don't want anyone to know yet what the Lord has done, but He had me lay hands on the eyes of a blind man and pray and the Lord gave him back his sight. I've seen miracles, I'm hearing from the Lord and I'm excited to return home to share the Lord with everyone who made it possible for me to go."

So not only is she different, but imagine those hearts who sent her. Those hearts who wanted to go but couldn't. I know there was one lady who brought me a grocery bag of pennies and apologized that that was all she had. I cannot wait for Sky to share her testimony with that lady. Some gave dollars, some gave lots, but it took every cent from every heart to send my daughter on this trip and I know that the Lord is going to use Sky to feed them and change them as well. When you sew seed God multiplies it. His word never returns void.

While I can see some short term trips being small vacations I just don't believe any monies are being wasted when our young have the desire to serve. Leaving our country and seeing how hard things are for yourself in other countries is life changing in itself, but coupling that with God and our youth it's explosive.

I plan to go with Sky on a 2 week trip once I graduate from college. I pray that the Lord will allow us to meet and help Katie Davis even if it is for such a short amount of time.

And Pam- the comment you made about holding those babies. In my heart, the way I see it, if those few hours is all they get it's much better than nothing. I would rather hold and rock a crying baby for a day then to know that child laid alone if just for one day. I just can't believe it's done in vain.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:22 pm 

Things I've been thinking about:

1. I hear all the time, "The Bible commands us to go". Well, who specifically was Jesus commanding to go? His disciples. What did he command them to go do? In Matthew, it says He commanded them to go teach all nations, to observe the things He commanded and to *baptize* them. In Mark, He commanded them to go into all the world and preach the gospel to everyone and baptize them. It also says those who believe will show these signs: they will cast out demons, speak in tongues and heal the sick. In Luke, He says to preach the repentance and remission of sins.

So, if we use the great commission of the disciples and say "We have to go!", then we have to go tell people the whole truth, not just that God loves them, but that they're filthy sinners who need to repent and have they're sins forgiven. Not just building them a school and hoping they will somehow come to the conclusion that they need to repent and turn to Jesus. Then we have to baptize them. I never hear about baptisms on mission trips. My uncle is a pastor and long term missionary in Portugal (they've lived there since before I was born) and they baptize new believers, but that's the only time I hear of them. And I hear a lot of stories about mission trips but I never hear about someone accepting Christ and then immediately casting out demons.

Has the whole world been reached with the gospel? No. So, either Jesus was only talking about the "known" world at the time or we are meant to carry out the work they started. I'm guessing the latter because we know Jesus died for all and wants all to be saved. The disciples only knew about their little part of the world and didn't travel very far on their mission trips (not by today's standards). They were the only ones who knew the gospel and if they didn't spread it, it would die with them. They had to start where they were and go further and further until they reached everyone they could.

So, it seems what we need is brave, mature Christians to go to the remote, completely unreached places to spread the gospel. That's where the focus should be. Shift the focus from the places who have already been reached and focus more on the unreached. The whole purpose is to spread the gospel, not build buildings or get a good feeling or even have a life changing experience. If you're a Christian you've already had a life changing experience and your heart is already changed/changing. Paul and Peter didn't go on mission trips to have a life changing "experience". They went to preach the gospel and get people saved. They were mature, devout men. Not rebellious or complacent teenagers who needed a wake up call. Is it responsible use of resources to send someone who is not spiritually mature and prepared to do something as serious and important as preach the gospel? There is at least one example in Acts of someone who they basically had to tell to shut their mouth and educate him because he was was not educated enough on the gospel to be preaching it. Are we sending out kids, hoping to change them, and not taking the best interests of the people they're going to into account? I have wanted to go with my ds mainly because I thought it would be good for HIM to see how other people are living. How selfish of me. It's not about that, but about winning souls. There are other ways to teach compassion: visiting soup kitchens, elderly people, poor people, etc. in our area. And if I really want him to see other cultures first hand, fine, lets take a trip someday if we can afford it. But lets not use church resources and call it a mission trip, unless the main "mission" is the gospel.

2. Another thing I've been thinking about is how we go to these places and think theses people are so bad off because they're not living by America's standards. We had a girl return from Uganda this week and watched a slideshow of pictures that I realized afterwards were supposed to show how "poverty stricken" they were. I didn't see anything wrong with the pictures. Sure it didn't look like America, is that what we want it to look like? Do we want them to have nice big expensive houses and cars and credit cards and debt like we have? Some people are legitimately poverty stricken and to me that means either starving or disease ridden. The people in the pictures looked happy, were clothed, were healthy looking, had food to eat, had shelter. My pastor said the notebooks they write in look like old newspapers. SO? Their notebooks don't look like ours, they aren't up to our standards? So what? What about their souls. Not to sound critical of my church. I know their hearts are in the right place. But I think America's churches as a whole have started focusing more on what we think needs to be done in these places, instead of the gospel, and turned missions into humanitarian missions. Anyone can do those, and they do! I hear about a mission trip to go build this or that, to do this or that. Biblical missions is spreading the message of repentance of sins and baptizing new believers and having them carry on the work in their area. Period. While there, should we help with immediate needs? Of course. The disciples healed people on their mission trips and took care of immediate needs. But you don't see them saying, "We need to go to Corinth and build a school and if we can tell a few people that Jesus loves them, great!" I'm not saying all missionaries or mission trips are like this, but a lot are.

In some places, it's illegal to preach the gospel. In some places it's illegal to preach the gospel unless people ask you about it. So? What does Jesus say? Preach the gospel! Who should we obey? What would Paul and the other disciples who were jailed, beaten, and martyred say if they were here right now? Would they say, "What are you doing? Get out there and preach the gospel! Stop hiding it behind projects, stop watering it down, and stop worrying about man's laws that go against God's laws. So what if you're thrown in jail or killed? So were we. Didn't Jesus say He would be with you?" But if we do that, we might not return to our church and our family. Is God still reaching people even with our discreet gospel preaching? Yes. Am I willing to go be killed and leave my children motherless? No, and I don't think a woman with children should do that.

And we need to stop doing things for people that either don't need to be done or that they could do for themselves! Are these people happy with their houses, their food, their schools, their notebooks, etc? (If not, maybe they're more like Americans than we think) Do we forget that they don't know what America looks like and they're probably not sitting around grumbling, going "Gee, this house is too small. I wish I had a two story with a garden tub." or "Man, I'm tired of this rice. I could really go for a Big Mac right now." Different cultures have different ways of living and different resources. They're going to look different and to us, probably poor. We would think the Israelites were poor. They lived in tents, caves, houses made out of mud/brick. Indians lived in Teepees. Deep remote jungle people don't even wear clothes, nor do they want them and they live in little stick huts. People use the resources they have, that God has given them, and don't need us coming along saying, "This is completely unacceptable. You need to do it this way. How can you live like this?" What they need is the gospel!

3. One glaringly obvious problem flies in the face of the belief that every single Christian must travel overseas to spread the gospel. If "Go into all the world..." applies to every single Christian (as many pastors and books are now saying), what about those new converts that we reach on our mission trip. Are they then supposed to turn around and leave their country to go preach the gospel elsewhere? They're a Christian, right? What if they own nothing but the clothes on their back? Maybe they mean every single AMERICAN Christian? It's just silly to take something that was said to a certain group of people and apply it to everyone. The apostles obviously had the message to preach and the means to travel. If not, the gospel would have died. America is a privileged nation (maybe not for long) and God has used America to send out so many missionaries and reach so many people. But making a mom feel guilty for staying home with her kids or a disabled person feel guilty or a person who has other commitments and can't go for whatever reason, it's just wrong. I hear people say that we are all called to go overseas and preach the gospel. Really? Where is that in the Bible. Again, people come back to "Go into all the world" which has been so distorted and taken out of context. It means whatever people want it to mean now, so they can bash other Christians who are living their lives for God, but not in a "radical" way.

4. How many people that go on a mission trip, consult God before they go. Do they just say, "Hmmm, I want to go here" or do they go where God sends them? And if God isn't sending them, they shouldn't be going. People forget that God is doing behind the scenes work, too. Preparing places/people for the ones he has chosen to go there. If we're not working with Him, we're working against Him. Paul didn't just get to go wherever He wanted. His heart was in a certain place and he didn't get to go there until he had gone where God wanted him to go and done what God wanted him to do. People think, "As long as I'm doing something, I'm helping" and that's not true.

So, yeah, those are things I've been thinking about. There is more to the command "Go" than us just "going". I don't fully understand those passages. They take studying, prayer, context, etc. and people just throw the words around without really thinking about them. This article and discussion has got me thinking and looking more closely at these verses and the examples of the first mission trips in Acts, which is a good thing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:23 pm 

I'm exhausted and do not have the time nor the rest to respond the way I'd like to this post but I will say that God did call both of my daughters on their trips. No one can say that God has or has not called an individual to do something. Paul had a personal relationship with God and God led him. It is the same with us. If God called me to go on a missions trip He would equip me. If I died a martyr I believe with all of my heart that God would use my testimony to reach many. Most martyrs reach more people because of the life they live and the way they die. I also believe He would provide for my children. To this point that isn't the case, I'm just saying IF He did, I'd go.

Paul and the disciples did NOT have the means God provided them with what they needed when they needed it. They TRUSTED Him for it. It all comes down to your personal relationship with Christ. It is about lost souls but is also about the soul going. How do you win souls to Christ? It isn't just about preaching the gospel. The gospel is meant to be LIVED and in living the gospel you love others as Christ loves you. That entails wells for fresh water, school buildings, clothes, food and whatever else the Lord may call you to provide. Some go, some provide the way for others to go.

The discussion here was more about long term and short term missions trips. BOTH are very near and dear to my heart. I just cannot believe that ONE is MORE important than the other because they both have different purposes.

People try so hard to narrow every little thing down, to me in this case there is no right or wrong. Are you called? Go! If you aren't, don't. Are you called to sponsor? Sew that seed or maybe you are called to sew seed elsewhere. I'm not here to try and make anyone feel guilty for not going into missions and I'm amazed that people can try to "reason" the purpose of short term trips. I cannot claim to know what God has called someone to do, and in return no one can claim to know what the Lord has called me to do either.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:15 pm 

"Some go, some provide the way for others to go." Beautifully said.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:36 pm 

Of course you need to do what is right for your family and follow what you believe to be God's leading.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:15 am 

Lisa, you are correct. God has plans for each of us. Sometimes those plans intersect the paths of others, sometimes they do not. If you are doing what God calls you to do - as an individual, a wife, a mother... then His will is being done. If we aren't listening/seeking His will, then we miss out on His perfection for us and for others. He is still in control though, and can turn all things to good. We all just need to be open to His direction and then go forth, wherever that is.