It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:27 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Controversy about stay-at-home-Moms
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:33 am 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20222752

In Germany, the state is considering subsidizing Stay-at-Home Moms to very young children. The reasoning is that the state pays for childcare for children of these ages, and the Mom is providing the childcare, rather than using tax dollars.

See in this article the uproar from those who want to force women to leave their children in the hands of the state.

Post subject: Re: Controversy about stay-at-home-Moms
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:25 pm 

I think that there is a lot of good in the idea. These two arguments against caught my eye...

1. Others have rejected this argument, pointing out that parents who receive the allowance can still both go to work if they make other childcare arrangements, such as relying on relatives or privately-run nurseries.

2. Another article argues that for a mother to stay at home indefinitely is not fair on the father, who finds himself condemned to be the sole breadwinner in uncertain economic times. Christoph Droesser says such men miss out on valuable family time.

I can see issues with number 1. If it is allocated as a way for moms to stay home with their children, then it should not be used as an extra income source.

With number 2, could it be used for dads to stay home and mom return to the workforce? That could take this argument away. Otherwise, I may be out of the loop for other countries, but most men in ours expect to be the financial earner when mom is able to be a stay at home mom.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:17 pm 

Pam, I think your #1 argument is faulty. :) If the family is eligible for the "allowance" then it shouldn't matter how they choose to use it. If they choose to both stay home and live off that amount - more power to them! That's probably not feasible but if they are very frugal maybe it could happen. If they choose to both work and find other childcare arrangements, that's their business, too. (Especially if it makes it possible for a willing Grandma to watch the kiddos!) ;-) That allowance may also be used to compensate Grandparents for watching the kids but would not cost as much as regular daycare.

Personally, I think anybody that has to pay for daycare for 2 kids is probably better off financially to just stay home!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:45 pm 

I agree with your analysis of this Sis, I'm just not certain if it fits with their intentions for this allowance and if it is not, then I could see how others would have issue with it. If it is discretionary, then it could be a way to cover costs while enabling the family to produce 2 incomes. Did I miss something in the article that would clarify that?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:38 am 

The number one thing to remember here is that any government program that brings government dollars also brings government regulations and scrutiny. This is one reason some private schools are not happy with the idea of "school choice" vouchers. They would be pressured to accept the vouchers and then would have to follow additional state and federal guidelines. Want money because you are the early childhood "professional" raising your kid? Sure, just let us come in and inspect your facilities and approve your menus and modify your curriculum to be politically correct. Don't like that? I'm sorry, you took the money, and the money came with the irrevocable right for us to do this.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:09 pm 

My thoughts on this.... I think that the government needs to just stop paying for childcare to begin with! I mean seriously, why should we be paying for your kids childcare when it's your choice to go to work. It's another way to make people dependent on the government. I know how the childcare assistance works and I have talked to Mom's who abuse this benefit and I have seen how they will turn down promotions just to continue getting the free help.
I have seen it used correctly as well, but it still results in dependency on the government.
I chose to stay home when DH and I decided to have #2. It just wasn't going to pay for me to hire a sitter or put my kids in daycare. So, we have struggled on our 1 income for years, but I wouldn't trade it for anything! I wouldn't mind a subsidy, but probably wouldn't take it! Now, give us a tax break or credit, I wouldn't mind that.. LOL

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:31 am 

To me, tax-then-give-aid is like a schoolyard bully who beats you up and takes your$1 lunch money- then at lunchtime graciously chooses which 10cent item you're allowed to eat. Where's my 90cents? And why can't *I* choose what to eat?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:47 pm 

Anna, that is a very succinct summary of what my daughter was saying to me the other night. I will have to pass that on to her so she can have a way to express her thoughts without taking 10 minutes to do so! ;)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:03 pm 

Very aptly put Anna.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:29 pm 

Thanks Pam & Sis : )