It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:44 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Re: Man Facing Jail for Having in Home Bible Studies
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:22 am 

I agree, Briva, that the regulations are stupid & immoral.

Altho, fire codes are very smart for Churches which might be inclined to have candlelight services - we had a fire in our Church recently. Thank God no one was there at the time.

But, I don't think that stupid laws give Christians a right to lie - especially when there are lots of other options available, and no one's life is in danger (for instance, you can meet for a Bible study at Panera's conference room - we've done it!)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:07 pm 

That bothered me too Briva. How did it come to that? Why was that what was decided was necessary or permissable? Is it political? Is it a government control issue. We all know that it could be. If that is the case, then this is appalling.

I wish we knew the truth behind it. From the little bits of info available, it appears that it could be a two sided issue of wrong doing. How to put together a full, accurate picture, when only pieces are being handed out, and some pieces are not available. Full disclosure is not before us and each side could use the pieces that are available to condemn the other. I hate the not knowing the truth. And if the truth was completely before us, would we agree on the "rightness" or "wrongness" of either/both sides? I abhor government interference in private lives. I hate the idea that Christians are persecuted, and that makes me touchy. I also despise Christians being deceptive in their practices as well. That is why this story bothers me. Is the government pulling their shenanigans? Is this guy lying and deceiving and falsifying paperwork to achieve what he believes (or is) right? If either is a yes, it is sickening.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:36 pm 

That is exactly what I'm thinking, Briva! It's ridiculous! Why is the state getting involved in the first place? It makes no sense. They called these people's house a place of worship. It's not a place of worship. It's their house that they happen to have Bible studies in. Right there, the state went to far. If they have a an alcoholic beverage, does their house become a bar? If they have a wading pool in their yard, does their property become a water park?

I had to go back and look at part of the video again because I did not get the impression that they were being deceitful and I still don't get that impression. Unless there is something that they are not saying, it looks to me like they were trying to comply with the state and the state was giving them the runaround. I do think that just for a Bible study, they didn't need to decorate the building, but that's their choice, I guess. They knew it would be inspected and if they were trying to hide the fact that it was used for worship, they would not have decorated it like they did. They got the permit that they needed for it and it was all within compliance.

And about that bit that Briva posted about their house being raided. I read that the other day and there are just no words for something like that. I can't begin to comprehend why they would think they needed to use that unnecessary force, as if they were dealing with violent criminals, instead of a couple who simply wanted to hold a Bible study on their own private property. And I believe they have kids, too. How traumatic for them. It's out of control. It reminds me of all the stuff going around about dangerous "right wing terrorists" and I bet they are on a watch list now for sure. Now it's ok to invade and raid Christian's homes for any or no reason because we're terrorists.