It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:20 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: ADD, or Not.....Give Them the Pill!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:27 pm 

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/09/healt ... .html?_r=0

SNIPPET:

“I don’t have a whole lot of choice,” said Dr. Anderson, a pediatrician for many poor families in Cherokee County, north of Atlanta. “We’ve decided as a society that it’s too expensive to modify the kid’s environment. So we have to modify the kid.”

Dr. Anderson is one of the more outspoken proponents of an idea that is gaining interest among some physicians. They are prescribing stimulants to struggling students in schools starved of extra money — not to treat A.D.H.D., necessarily, but to boost their academic performance.

Post subject: Re: ADD, or Not.....Give Them the Pill!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:38 pm 

I think it's a horrible to drug anyone for no very good reason.

I'm about afraid of medications of any kind because I have had so many reactions to different types of medicines.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:06 pm 

Can anyone say Frankenstein? This is so stupid.

Post subject: Not only that.........
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:20 pm 

Sis wrote:
Can anyone say Frankenstein? This is so stupid.

But where are the bloody parents, in these situations!!!!!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:22 pm 

And there's a banner ad at the top of my page for some ADD treatment :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:16 pm 

Here's what concerns me:

"Quintn began taking Adderall for A.D.H.D. about five years ago, when his disruptive school behavior led to calls home and in-school suspensions. He immediately settled down and became a more earnest, attentive student — a little bit more like Perry, who also took Adderall for his A.D.H.D.

When puberty’s chemical maelstrom began at about 10, though, Quintn got into fights at school because, he said, other children were insulting his mother. The problem was, they were not; Quintn was seeing people and hearing voices that were not there, a rare but recognized side effect of Adderall. After Quintn admitted to being suicidal, Dr. Anderson prescribed a week in a local psychiatric hospital, and a switch to Risperdal.

Despite Quintn’s experience with Adderall, the Rocaforts decided to use it with their 12-year-old daughter, Alexis, and 9-year-old son, Ethan. These children don’t have A.D.H.D., their parents said. The Adderall is merely to help their grades, and because Alexis was, in her father’s words, “a little blah.”

”We’ve seen both sides of the spectrum: we’ve seen positive, we’ve seen negative,” the father, Rocky Rocafort, said. Acknowledging that Alexis’s use of Adderall is “cosmetic,” he added, “If they’re feeling positive, happy, socializing more, and it’s helping them, why wouldn’t you? Why not?”

:o :shock: :o :shock: :o

Shame, shame, shame on these parents!!! Their son was hallucinating and suicidal and not only did they keep him on the medication, but they had their other kids, that don't even have ADD, put on it as well? I am completely baffled. I just don't even have words.

And doctors are knowingly mis-diagnosing and treating patients? What's that E word I'm thinking of.....something I heard all the time working in clinics.....ummmmm........Oh yeah! ETHICS! These doctors need to be stripped of their medical license! Makes me almost physically ill.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:23 am 
Site Owner

My son was telling me that people who need high brain performance (like military special forces) use ADD/ADHD meds because they get a major thinking boost from them. Since that article was focused on poor kids, I wonder if the rich kids are taking tons of them, too. Reminds me of the book Brave New World with everyone in the society addicted to "soma." Some people allege that the book was the actual plan of the ruling elite...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:06 am 

Martha R. wrote:
My son was telling me that people who need high brain performance (like military special forces) use ADD/ADHD meds because they get a major thinking boost from them. Since that article was focused on poor kids, I wonder if the rich kids are taking tons of them, too. Reminds me of the book Brave New World with everyone in the society addicted to "soma." Some people allege that the book was the actual plan of the ruling elite...

This reminds me of a Family Ties episode where Michael J. Fox's character got addicted to speed because he was feeling the pressure to do better in school. Most people don't realize that amphetamines were widely used by soldiers during WWII (which led to problems of addiction later) and that methamphetamines (meth) were also widely used - primarily by the Japanese, who had a massive problem with meth addicts after the war ended. (in the 40s and 50s the Japanese issued meth to plant workers to increase productivity - how messed up is that?!?!?)

It's a cycle, man invents something for a good (limited) purpose originally, good purpose is twisted/abused, abuse becomes rampant, item is then viewed as inherently evil. (I am NOT advocating for so-called "recreational" drug use here as I don't use any, have never, and will never, just pointing out that most of the ones that were invented had a purpose originally that has been lost in time). Other inventions follow the same pattern - guns, cars, etc. They have a good purpose, have been abused/misused by some, and are now labeled by many as inherently evil. The drugs in this story aren't the problem, the parents and physicians who are allowing and even encouraging their misuse are the problem.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:39 am 
Site Owner

I was sharing this article with dd who works at a pharmacy. One of the pharmacists (an older gentleman who has been at this a long time) told her ADD/ADHD meds are for the benefit of the parents, not the kids. He pointed out that it's lots easier for the parents to do what they want when the kid is vegging in the corner instead of running around.