It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:27 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Man taking pictures of clouds questioned by FBI
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:55 pm 
Sis, I just went to NY, and took lots of pictures of the subway - who shooed you away??? I had a nice conversation with a NY'er after I took one of the Lincoln St station stop. I took pics of EVERYTHING, lol! I took pics of all the doors in the Port Authority, they were awesomely Art Deco and I just loved them. If I'd had my good camera I would have taken a whole lot more!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:02 pm 

I dunno. Some security person down there. puh I suppose I looked like a terrorist - you know - me and my super white skin and blonde hair and all. ;-)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:55 pm 
Site Owner

Sis, Think about what they do in a refinery. You could walk by and throw a match over the fence and the place could catch on fire. Someone intent on attacking it wouldn't need to be inside -- or want to!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:09 pm 

http://science.howstuffworks.com/enviro ... ining2.htm

I'm certainly no expert on it, but googled the topic "for children" (since anything else is over my head!) Seems to me that if they hit the crude oil tank, or the fuel oil tank, coker, or lubricating oil tanks, they might do little or no damage except getting themselves in prison for a very long time. But, some of the other tanks could be a bulls-eye, so to speak. Not to mention that I'm guessing these places need things like office buildings and employee locker rooms.

I think a bad guy *might* benefit from some photographic research. IMH, uneducated, O.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:39 am 
You know Sis, I don't think I saw one security person in the subway....not even down by the WTC. I didn't think of terrorism once while we were there, except of course at the WTC site, but I didn't think of any danger while WE were there. We all thought it was amazing how safe we felt, but we were thinking more of muggers than terrorists. Naive? Probably, lol.

Post subject: I always harken back to this quote....
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:13 am 

It says it all for me.......

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.". Benjamin Franklin

I believe our freedoms should be guarded more vigilantly, than a photographer outside a refinery!
Erosion is happening little by little, on a daily basis and people are constantly relenting when the arguement is...."Ahh, well, it's for safety's sake, ok then". It DOES NOT & WILL NOT STOP.
People today have lost all concept of Liberty & Freedom....it was a precious gift, that we have squandered. People argue more vehemently about safety than the do about FREEDOM. The battle has been lost & freedoms are no longer valued as the precious, priceless gift they were.
I guess in the end, we will get what we deserve.

Post subject: Re: I always harken back to this quote....
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:28 pm 

Donna/NM wrote:
It says it all for me.......

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.". Benjamin Franklin

People today have lost all concept of Liberty & Freedom....it was a precious gift, that we have squandered. ... I guess in the end, we will get what we deserve.

I do agree with you Donna. And I will admit to being the frog in the pot of water.

An exerpt: President Bush argued frequently and forcefully that his first job was to keep us safe. He was wrong. The Constitution tells us that his sole job was to enforce the Constitution; and that means keeping us free. Free from tyrants who sought and claimed power from thin air; free from prince-like federal agents who could behave without constitutional or legal restraint; free to live with a government that obeyed its own laws. Any president who keeps us safe but unfree is rejecting his oath to the American people.
- http://tenthamendmentcenter.com/2009/07 ... stitution/

But, Donna, aren't you the one asking if your girls should go to DC?

Post subject: Yes, Sis, I'm concerned about safety.....
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:06 pm 

"But, Donna, aren't you the one asking if your girls should go to DC?"

Standing for liberty doesnt mean you forsake, personal security.

It means you are FREE from government coercion.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:32 pm 

LOL! I see your point, I think. ??

Isn't that where the line is fuzzy? I guess I don't really see the line. :\ I must be a very gray thinker and it makes it very difficult for me to understand the difference between it being safe to go to our Capitol on election day and flying in a plane. At least visiting D.C. has a very educational aspect to it. But, you're probably talking about flying AND D.C. in the same trip!? Ack! ;-)

Maybe I see "safety" and "happiness" as going hand in hand. I want it all! It makes me happy to feel safe. I don't like risks or fears but life is full of them. We pick and choose, weighing out the risks with the benefits. Sometimes our fear of risks keeps us housebound. Even on the road trips I love to take I have to battle my fears for the enjoyment of the destination/journey. And yet..... many times the fears win out. Sometimes it's just the inconvenience that kills my desire to do things and go places. MY tradeoffs would be different from your tradeoffs, I imagine. I think the craziness of being groped and embarrassed and very inconvenienced by TSA (and add to that the lack of customer care during the flight itself) has made flying NOT worth the fears I already have of flying. The odds of terrorists getting away with those tactics again do seem more minimal to me than some other threats - but I know others feel that it's the very chance of catching them makes TSA worth the hassle.

How do we draw those lines for others?

"..... organizing its [government's] powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." --Declaration of Independence as originally written by Thomas Jefferson, 1776.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:15 pm 
I agree, Donna. But I think we're so far down that slippery slope that we'll never get back up. I keep thinking of this John Adams quote:

"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."
John Adams

It's not just terrorism. It's violence in every city, total immorality in every living room. America fell because the pulpits across America fell. I can't imagine today's generation [especially in DETROIT] being self-governing....it's already a jungle. The police were at the Tiger's play-off game, letting folks know it wasn't safe to enter Detroit. They've gone on tv telling everyone in Detroit to buy a gun. It's not just a political ploy - my mom lives in Detroit and we know firsthand. Someone was shooting at her house the other night. Rap is the new religion, and God help us all.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next