It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:51 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Greek children abandoned due to economic crisis
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:24 am 
Site Owner

http://rt.com/news/greek-orphans-crisis-abandoned-707/
This is so sad. I wish I could adopt a couple of these!

Post subject: Re: Greek children abandoned due to economic crisis
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:35 am 

Will that happen here? I saw on the news that people in Houston are abandoning their dogs at a certain underpass on the highway headed out of town. Our neighbor had an old horse (25yr) plus her foraging buddies, 1/2 dz goats and two lamas. They were all sold because neighbor lost her business several years ago and could no longer feed them. So are children next?

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:55 am 

I've been wondering lately if the reports of people who are commiting suicide and killing their children are partly because of the economy here.
Because a lot of the ones I've read about seem to have a common theme of the parents being unemployed or or having some sort of extreme financial hardship.

I hope that all of the people who need jobs will be able to get jobs one day soon. The sooner the better really. It's extremely hard when you can't find a job, and you run out of savings and lose a place to live and you really don't have anywhere to go.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:41 pm 

Very tragic.

The foreign workers in Greece are *really* feeling the pinch - if you come from Sri Lanka or Eastern Europe for a job because your family is hungry, then the jobs fall apart at your destination - that's just too much for many to bear. Many of these orphans are children of those foreign workers. People who were already in desperate circumstances, then had this happen on top of it.

There's also been a rise in abandonment among those families who were already the most troubled in society.

From what I hear of the international news, Greece is not at this point experiencing a third-world sort of poverty, but an economic downturn can be incredibly hard the poorest of any society - even a comparatively wealthy one.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:30 pm 
Site Owner

AnnaB, I wonder about that. I can't imagine people believing that killing a child is better than sending them to an orphanage. There were lots of families that were dirt poor in our country during the depression, after the Civil War, and other times; yet, they made it through.

It could happen here. You just don't know.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:41 pm 

Martha R. wrote:
AnnaB, I wonder about that. I can't imagine people believing that killing a child is better than sending them to an orphanage. There were lots of families that were dirt poor in our country during the depression, after the Civil War, and other times; yet, they made it through.

It could happen here. You just don't know.

I think that people may not really think clearly when they are not seeing a whole lot of resources, or hope, plus are very hungry and their kids are crying because of being hungry.
Also a lot of people in this country in particular take a whole lot of things for granted, I think the ones who have always had things hard may do better than those who have always had their needs met or been able to meet their needs, just my personal opinion of the matter.

Also if someone owns their own land free and clear, and knows how to do things, farming, woodworking, crafts, general maintence etc, I think that may be something that would help them not think of killing themselves or their children,

I do however believe that if someone is unsaved, or a carnal Christian, they are more likely to become so depressed as to believe suicide, and murder of their immediate family is a positive thing compared to their current situation. Especially so if they have isolated themselves from others they would normally have been in contact with.

That's just my personal opinion of the matter though.

It's just not a good thing to get to that point though where you are not seeing any options, and just feel hopeless and want to die, but don't want to leave your children,

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:53 pm 

SO sad...hoping that doesn't happen here.

I agree with AnnaB that perhaps some of the family suicide/killings in our country could be related to depression and inability to provide for one's family. We live in a very apocalyptic society compared to the time of the great depression. People embrace hopelessness and give up far easier than in those days. The core value of determination in this country seems to have waned through the years and people have lost the ability to cope with hardships as they once did.