It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:22 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Oh, Great! Are newborns next?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:06 pm 

http://www.fox19.com/story/19701194/con ... e-for-kids

When little one was born they wanted to give her a Hep B immunization (It's the Law!). My problem? Hep B is an S*T*D*! You get it the same way you get AI*DS. We are in a ZERO risk category! I refused (even tho I'm generally VERY pro-vaccine)

Now, they're saying this one is safe for kids as young as 9 (even tho they only researched 60 days after immunization - so no checking for long-term effects). Will they be trying it on newborns soon, too?

Post subject: Re: Oh, Great! Are newborns next?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:39 pm 

Yep, when I gave shots, I had a lot of girls come in for this shot and their mom's would ask me to pretend it was a different vaccine because they wanted their daughters to get it, but they didn't want them to know they were getting it.

My kids got the Hep B vaccine in the hospital and I never wondered why, but now I do. I also wonder why they do the first one in the hospital, when the rest of the series is done outside the hospital.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:54 pm 

Well, I looked it up and found out that many people have Hep B and don't know it because they don't have symptoms. Then they pass it on to kids in their family through sharing utensils, etc. So, I guess that's why they vaccinate for it, but still doesn't explain why they do it in the hospital. I will err on the safe side and have this one get his Hep B shots, like my other kids did. It at least doesn't hurt anything to have it done.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:11 pm 

Since all vaccines carry risks, I opted out. If I had ANY doubt about having HepB myself, I would have opted in. Likewise, if I had planned to send dd to daycare where she could get exposed to some other person's blood, I would have opted in. But, for a stay-at-home kid, with an uninfected family, I don't see the point.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:30 pm 

That makes sense. I don't know if all our family members are uninfected. I assume they are, but I don't know for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:54 pm 

In that case, I would ABSOLUTELY opt in. I heard of a baby who got it from an infected relative, and I cannot imagine much that would be more heartbreaking.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:46 pm 

My dd, who will be 16 in Nov had a severe reaction to Hep B that was forced on me at the hospital. The nurse threatened that I could not take her home without it. My pediatrician said I should have called her and she would have taken my dd out without the vaccine. I was in the hospital less than 24 hours.

The first night home she cried unconsolably and would stiffen up like having a seizure. We had two older kids and this was very different than anything I had ever experienced. The doc agreed that it could be the vaccine and never gave her the rest of the series. Another baby at church had the same symptoms, a boy. They grew up having crying fits that looked like tantrums, me and the other mom would compare soothing techniques, dd liked classical music and music boxes and we tried to make sure they always had snacks because low blood sugar seemed to aggravate them.

Dd had night terrors and walked in her sleep but by the time she was 5-6 these diminshed, so did the tantrums.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26